To kill or let kill...That is the question

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I won't comment on the event that you posted about - as you say, none of us were there so it's impossible to know what we would do in the same circumstances.

Having said that, I only wanted to point out that your original post included the following two statements: "I wanted some input from others" and "Interested to see the feedback to this". I think it's incumbent upon you at that point to be prepared for input and feedback, and to realize that not everyone will be in agreement.

This is a friendly place with lots of kind hearted people who just want to help out. You seem to be the same kind of person, so I hope you can take all the advice and feedback in the spirit it was intended.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I used that as a deck railing system instead of those 2x2's ..I loved the metal in between so it does not block the view as much .I killed an eggplant egg from garden to oven to table YUMMY
lol killing them poor defenseless eggplants :D

Reaction score
They have no predators so unless they are controlled they will kill what ever they can to survive. That includes your dog and cat and farm animals and even a person if desperate enough. They can be trapped and moved but that's like trapping a deer and moving it, In the end there will just be more. Deer are hunted to keep the population down but not many people hunt coyotes. In my book Marshall was right to shoot it. It wasn't a cute animal just walking down the road. If it were a rattle snake in your garden would you kill it? I know a lot of people wouldn't.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
In more suburban areas coyotes are becoming a problem since they have become acclimated to living in close proximity to humans. Small pets are indeed in danger if a coyote wanders through. We've encountered a few just walking down our street with our dogs. Both of us were equally startled and just turned and went the other way. However WE are the invasive species, not them, so it's up to us to make sure we aren't inadvertently attracting them. Without any natural predators (no bears or wolves wandering in our neighborhood -yet!) it sometimes becomes necessary for wildlife management to kill them, which is a sad fact of life. We have a similar issue with deer - they over populate areas where the only predator is a human in a vehicle, which can prove deadly for both sides.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Coyotes, and all wildlife will do what their instincts tell them to do.
We humans should be smart enough to take that into consideration as we go about our daily living.
Some of us leave pet food and garbage out because it's convenient and we're too "busy" to consider the consequences.
The easiest solution seems to be to eliminate what annoys us in our daily routine.
That is very short sighted, in my opinion.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Coyotes, and all wildlife will do what their instincts tell them to do.
We humans should be smart enough to take that into consideration as we go about our daily living.
Some of us leave pet food and garbage out because it's convenient and we're too "busy" to consider the consequences.
The easiest solution seems to be to eliminate what annoys us in our daily routine.
That is very short sighted, in my opinion.

Okay we'll agree to disagree. However a two year old isn't "smart enough to take things into consideration", so adults need to step in and do what their instincts tell them to do, based on this video it's was a good thing her parents were around.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I don't think there should be anything to disagree about.
Coyotes are doing what coyotes do.
It's very predictable and what I'm saying is that we need to take that into consideration as we lead our daily lives.

If I put garbage out on my deck and local wildlife comes to eat it and makes a mess or presents a danger, whose fault is it, mine or the wildlife?
I think it's simple. It's my fault.

I can go out beyond my cleared yard and find droppings from many different animals. Wildlife will respect your space and observe from a distance, unless you give them a reason to come closer.

Ask a Question