To many fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Every morning as soon as i open the back door to the pond to feed them they all gather in the same area to be fed. I could never euthanize any of them. I think i will wait until next spring and see how many new fish they leave me and then i will make a decision. I have a 5000 gal. Oase Biosmart filter and a 2500 Gal. Sicce Green filter {without fish}.3 waterfalls and 2 bubbles. I have 2 water lilies and two floating creeping jenny plants.I vacuum the bottom of the pond twice a year.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
You are very well filtered for your pond size and number of fish! I think your fish will be fine if you keep them all. I was over filtered for my small pond and it allowed me to be much more crowded than usually recommended on here. My fish did not have babies I ever saw last year. So I think they either did not reproduce or ate all eggs or babies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
This is for what it’s worth…. In my first year of having a Koi pond, I had a huge spawn ….. it was the most stressful year trying to give them away and dealing with what was left. Needless to say it was a disaster. Now 6 years later they spawn every spring but I don’t have any fry that survive. But if I did I would go catch a predator from a local lake….. one bluegill will get every fry that is in that pond…… then in the fall take it back to your local lake and release it back….

Ask a Question