To pond, or not to pond...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I have an interesting project where I need to remove 25 cubic yards from my backyard. I live in a lake neighborhood and have two streets of rainwater flowing past my house and then out to the lake. Years ago I built some concrete steps and retaining wall, and 'accidentally' put a little extra fill dirt that was allowed. 25 yards to be exact. Fortunately, the Corps, who manage the flowage easement behind my house, are allowing me to remove 25 yards to offset the encroachment. I can just dig a big ugly ditch, or I can build a garden pond.

One of the problems is the fact that rain creates a river down to the lake, so no matter what the pond will get flooded out on a fairly regular basis. The next problem is the fact that it can flood and be covered up by a lake. It's happened twice in the 10 years I've been here. Still, I think with the proper planning and construction, it could work and be very cool!

77833-2d9b92ada1538948ad307dfe92f4c55a.jpg

I have a couple more pictures here, but can't seem to link to them yet.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GnwKfe6W89PyL3sq9

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
One of the problems is the fact that rain creates a river down to the lake, so no matter what the pond will get flooded out on a fairly regular basis

My biggest concern would be anything in the pond going into the lake. Obviously, you won't want to add any fish or non-native plants because they would likely end up in the lake due to flooding, and they could potentially cause serious environmental problems. You'd want the pond to be as natural, native, and healthy as possible.

The second concern is that it'll be flooded over. Something I remember reading a lot about when I was adding my pond is that putting it in a low spot where it would be flooded is not the best idea. I hope that some other members with more experience on that will chime in.

Which lake do you live on, by the way?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My biggest concern would be anything in the pond going into the lake. Obviously, you won't want to add any fish or non-native plants because they would likely end up in the lake due to flooding, and they could potentially cause serious environmental problems. You'd want the pond to be as natural, native, and healthy as possible.

The second concern is that it'll be flooded over. Something I remember reading a lot about when I was adding my pond is that putting it in a low spot where it would be flooded is not the best idea. I hope that some other members with more experience on that will chime in.

While the army corp may be alowing you to remove some soil you placed in what seems to be a error in placement. Digging / building in what would appear to be at a minimum of a 100 year flood plain is an other. The best advice I can give you is to make sure you communicate your wishes with the town and the army corp. someone I worked with bought a home along a lake and took down 60 trees on his new property. it Took a while but 2 years latter he was looking at $60,000.00 in fines WHICH HE PAID. I have delt with the corp A lot and to creat a wetland on my property would not be a venture I would want to do next to a lake. Todays rules might say one thing but tomorrow who knows. Lets say you do a fantastic job and you create a hold your breath a VERNAL POOL Our rules are that we can usually not get near such areas . Like we have to keep back 250 feet. Or some rare bird or frog love your efforts and move in. EVER SEE AT THE BEACH THE HABITATS BLOCKED OFF FROM HUMAN INTERVENTION ? even though its your home and property take my word for it they can change how you see your property. Not to be a pessimist but that's reality.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States

Lake Lewisville

I agree, I wouldn't really want anything in there but rocks and water... maybe some miniature bamboo off to the side, but not in the water. We have enough critters around here, and the last thing I want is another place for snakes to hang out. And when it does flood, I don't want to have to worry about losing something. I would also tie it in with my lake pump and have the ability to draw from it when irrigating and exchange it with fresh lake water pretty regular. If I didn't want water in it at all, I'd put a drain in it where it would just drain and be a rock garden. I have a rock river in the front of my yard so it won't look too out of place.

Reaction score
Country
United States
While the army corp may be alowing you to remove some soil you placed in what seems to be a error in placement. Digging / building in what would appear to be at a minimum of a 100 year flood plain is an other. The best advice I can give you is to make sure you communicate your wishes with the town and the army corp. someone I worked with bought a home along a lake and took down 60 trees on his new property. it Took a while but 2 years latter he was looking at $60,000.00 in fines WHICH HE PAID. I have delt with the corp A lot and to creat a wetland on my property would not be a venture I would want to do next to a lake. Todays rules might say one thing but tomorrow who knows. Lets say you do a fantastic job and you create a hold your breath a VERNAL POOL Our rules are that we can usually not get near such areas . Like we have to keep back 250 feet. Or some rare bird or frog love your efforts and move in. EVER SEE AT THE BEACH THE HABITATS BLOCKED OFF FROM HUMAN INTERVENTION ? even though its your home and property take my word for it they can change how you see your property. Not to be a pessimist but that's reality.

It was the engineer that gave me the idea. But you're right, I'd show him a plan before I sunk any money into it. I'm not in a city, and the county now has the plan on file. The county might have something to say about it though... I'm not allowed to impede water flow 5' from my property line (another easement) I'd be well beyond the 5' lone, but it's good to check for sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
It sound like this area will turn into a settling pond. Which is probably what it was before you filled. I agree with JB, if the Corp allows you to do anything it would have to be native, given the flooding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

I have a couple more pictures here, but can't seem to link to them yet.

There should be nothing stopping you from the forum permissions, where are you trying to share the images from? Sometimes sites stop you from directly linking to an image.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum :)

There should be nothing stopping you from the forum permissions, where are you trying to share the images from? Sometimes sites stop you from directly linking to an image.

I have them on google pictures. I created an album and selected shared to anyone with the link.

AF1QipM9oNgceRMGvZfVzbz5S4bgkw2EYQednRGvBdMN

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have them on google pictures. I created an album and selected shared to anyone with the link.

download the photos to your pc then load them here and click on full or thumb nail

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

Looks like Google Photos have disallowed hotlinking to the images they host unfortunately. It's getting more and more common.

Places such as imgur work fine, or alternatively you can upload images directly to your posts. Check out the Media section if you want to set up your own albums here too :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I always download the photo from google photos to be able to post is. Ow the big red x......................

Ask a Question