Toad Attack!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We have toad patrols here in the UK picking them up so that they wont get squashed by cars on their journy to the mating ponds , this is how these toad balls where first reported on here in the UK.
Sadly we now have a virurs taking out the UK's frogs (horrible to look at as they rot away whilst still alaive from their hands and feet inwards .
What I dont know is if this affects toads as well but I will endevour to find out.
Back to the toad patrols if you notice any dead toads out on the road it may be that you'll need them too unless you already have them it may be an idea to get like minded folks together to help the humble toads out ( they get a bad press as it is ) .

rgrds

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
they are sort of safe here, tons of land before they get to roads. I seldom see them on the few roads we have in the neighborhood

Reaction score
JoaniePA said:
I awakened in the night to the trilling, hearkening the arrival of the spring toads. But when I went out to look this morning there were 8 toads swimming around (and not swimming around) in the pond, and when I got back from shopping I counted two dozen toads. My pond is clearly toooo small for that many toads and I just want them to go away! The noise is deafening. For a sample, click video.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=bc0e40ef68916b2a&id=BC0E40EF68916B2A!714
yep i went through that last spring... they scared the crap out of me,,, ours went away after my frend used weed killer thats suppose to be safe for stuff it comes in yellow tub and starts with a p prune ir something

Reaction score
Dave 54 said:
We have toad patrols here in the UK picking them up so that they wont get squashed by cars on their journy to the mating ponds , this is how these toad balls where first reported on here in the UK.
Sadly we now have a virurs taking out the UK's frogs (horrible to look at as they rot away whilst still alaive from their hands and feet inwards .
What I dont know is if this affects toads as well but I will endevour to find out.
Back to the toad patrols if you notice any dead toads out on the road it may be that you'll need them too unless you already have them it may be an idea to get like minded folks together to help the humble toads out ( they get a bad press as it is ) .

rgrds

Dave
i feel bad he used weed killer but our toads went away then

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
image.jpgimage.jpg
I think this guy is a Fowler's Toad, judging by his call. They've been out in force, but we've just had a run of cooler nights & days, so haven't had any activity lately. Had eggs & tads last summer and I'm assuming was these guys.

image.jpgimage.jpg
Cope's Gray Tree Frog, again, judging by it's call. He visited last summer.

We have a couple of Southern Leopard Frogs in residence, but don't ever hear them.

Ask a Question