Toad Attack!

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
I awakened in the night to the trilling, hearkening the arrival of the spring toads. But when I went out to look this morning there were 8 toads swimming around (and not swimming around) in the pond, and when I got back from shopping I counted two dozen toads. My pond is clearly toooo small for that many toads and I just want them to go away! The noise is deafening. For a sample, click video.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=bc0e40ef68916b2a&id=BC0E40EF68916B2A!714

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats why I catch mine and take them for a car ride wait until they have tad poles and it will get worse they will clog the pump and filters

Reaction score
I dont want to be thinking about Toads yet ... this is the last one we evicted last year ...

evicted_zps8fc0d2ae.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
toads I have seen are ugly brown
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53322]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53379]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
So far 9 of them from my pond

Attachments

• pond 2013 016.JPG
    pond 2013 016.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 260
  • pond 2013 015.JPG
    pond 2013 015.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 229
Reaction score
Yep, that is a frog, (the one in Capewind's pix) and it appears to be a common North American Green Frog. I couldn't see the specimens in Joanie's video clearly, but I think those are frogs, too.
The video didn't play very well for me, rather choppy (probably a problem with my IP).

Joanie, I don't think that your pond is too small for these visitors. They seem to enjoy the living quarters just fine. Or should I say, they are enjoying the "No Tell - Hotel"? They are there for romantic trysts, which you even caught on the video. The two piggybacking were mating. Personally, I think it reflects very highly on your pond, if Mother Nature approves, it must be good and apparently she does! :)

When I was a kid, I remember the frogs singing and croaking in a chorus every night to the level that nearly drowned out all other sounds, except the cicadas, katydids, buffalo treehoppers, crickets and locusts. The night air was full of life, teeming in every space. June bugs the size of a nickel would slam into the screen door under the porch light and "buzz" with their own form of language. Soft summer breezes would rustle the leaves in the tall cottonwood trees and the river would gurgle by. The catfish would jump and pierce the quiet of the waters surface. I would pay anything to go back and witness these nights from my youth again, but nature is fast disappearing and it would be hard to find such oasis of life today.

You are very lucky that the frogs are there in your pond! I wouldn't suggest shooing them away. Their presence tells me that there is something very right about your pond and your local ecosystem.

Catfishnut

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
Nope, they are American Toads. This afternoon we counted over 30 of them. They will be there for about a week, and then they'll leave and I'll be digging strings of eggs out of the pond. UGH.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did find 3 green frogs and left them .But the toads gotta go .We have those little tiny frogs with the suction type feet aand they are so cute .

Reaction score
My bad ... I swap the words toads and frogs ... I think what we get here are American Bullfrogs, but am not certain of that. Our pond ends up with a few evicted frogs/toads ... Will try to grab pictures once they come back and you all can tell me what they are.

Reaction score
JoaniePA said:
Nope, they are American Toads. This afternoon we counted over 30 of them. They will be there for about a week, and then they'll leave and I'll be digging strings of eggs out of the pond. UGH.
Joanie, toads are cool, too! I couldn't see yours very clearly (my eyes aren't so good and it isn't easy for me to distinguish them in a video). Why do you need to remove the eggs? Would it be a problem for them to remain and then emerge as tadpoles and just allow the fish to eat them? Very few would survive, I am sure. And it would be interesting to watch the ones which do.

Catfishnut

Reaction score
I used to be able to distinguish green frogs from bullfrogs, but have forgotten what the specific differences are. They are quite similar to eachother and I thought that, other than adult size, there was some feature about the "ear" or tympanum that made them easier to distinguish. I looked it up and found this:

Green frogs can be a range of colors including green, greenish brown, brown, yellow green, olive and some rare individuals appearing blue. Generally these frogs have small irregular black sport covering their backs and dark transverse bands across their legs. Their ventral regions are white or yellow with the yellow appearing generally in the males. One of the most obvious features of the Green frog is the large tympanum behind the eye. In males, the tympanum is much larger than the eye and females generally have a tympanum the same size or smaller than the eye (Gillilland, 2000).
In the pictures below (male left, female right), notice the large tympanum in the male and the dorsolateral ridge running down the back of both frogs.

Starting at the eyes and running posteriorly down the body are a well defined pair of dorsolateral ridges. Generally, females are slightly larger in size than males. In Connecticut, males range from 52-84 mm in length while females measure 52-94 mm in length (Klemens, 1993). Because much of a green frog’s life is spent in water, their toes are well webbed. This enables them to be powerful swimmers.
In Connecticut, Green Frogs are often confused with Bull Frogs (Rana catesbeiana). Bull Frogs share many features with Green Frogs: both are green or brown in color, both have webbed feet, and both have a dorsolateral ridge. The key difference between Green Frogs and Bull Frogs is the location of the dorsolateral ridge as seen in the two photos below. The dorsolateral ridge of Bull Frogs starts at the eye and hooks around the tympanum much like the stem of eye glasses hooks around the ears of humans. Bull Frogs are also much larger than Green Frogs ranging from 90-152 mm in length with large males reaching 203 mm in length.
In the Bull Frog pictures below (male right, female left), notice the dorsolateral ridge starting at the eye and hooking around the tympanum.

Green Frogs will spend the winter in the water, usually buried in the substrate at the bottom. Some will occasionally spend the winter on land in small groups under masses of leaves or in underground holes or tunnels left vacant by other animals.
Green frogs are opportunistic “sit and wait” predators that feed both day and night. They will feed on a variety of moving prey that is large enough for them to detect and small enough to swallow (Jenssen, 1967). This includes annelids, mollusks, millipedes, centipedes, crustaceans, arachnids, a variety of insects, small fish, other frogs, vegetable matter and their own shed skin.
Green frogs have several predators at all stages of metamorphosis. Eggs are often eaten by turtles. Tadpoles are prey of whirligig beetles, dragonfly nymphs, giant water bugs, water scorpions, frogs, and other predators (Jenssen, 1967). Adult frogs are preyed upon by a variety of birds, snakes, turtles, raccoons, and other larger frogs.
To avoid predation, startled adult green frogs will emit a squawk when they jump. This serves as an alert call for other frogs in the area.

From this, I now retract my statement about your frog, Capewind. I believe it to be a Bullfrog.

Catfishnut

Reaction score
sissy said:
I did find 3 green frogs and left them .But the toads gotta go .We have those little tiny frogs with the suction type feet aand they are so cute .

Sissy,

The little frogs with "suction cup like feet" are tree frogs. They are also "chameleon" in nature meaning that they can change their color to suit their backdrop. I have seen them change from bright green with a white belly to totally mottled grey and brown all over. They are very interesting to watch and to listen to. They have a very distinctive "croak".

Catfishnut

Reaction score
Catfishnut said:
From this, I now retract my statement about your frog, Capewind. I believe it to be a Bullfrog.

Catfishnut
No problem, I thought it was an American Bullfrogs that we have here, and called it a toad ... I understand they are different species, but I interchange these two words horribly.

Reaction score
It is my opinion, and many biologists and ecologists agree, that frogs and toads are very indicative of the status of the delicate balance of nature. Since all species of frogs, toads and salamanders are very critical of their environment, it bodes well that their presence indicates a healthy, clean and highly functional ecosystem. If any of these critters were attracted to my pond, I would assuredly encourage them to stay. They are definitely beneficial as they can eat many unwanted, pesky insects. I also like Little Brown and Big Brown Bats, Purple Martens and Barn Swallows for the same reasons. Throw in some owls and whippoorwils and you have a really fantastic, environmentally sound ecosystem. More critters the better, I say.

Catfishnut

Ask a Question