training my fish????

Reaction score
How do i get my fish to come to me when i walk over to my pond and also when i go to feed them. Right now everytime i go to my pond they flee to whatever side im not on.....any suggestions will be great.

:)~marino~:blueflower:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You might let them relax a while after walking up to the pond and then feed them

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
put ther food in the pond on the sde your on take a few steps back and stand still . they will come to eat (it may take a few minutes) do this and everytime stand a little closer. before you know it they'll be coming to meet you as you walk up. and not much longer eating out of your hands. this will all happen pretty quickly once they associate you with food.

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have trained mine to come close to me at the sound of my hands clapping. The goldfish do well with it, and the koi come to attention, but don't come to the surface yet. The goldfish do. They have all learned that CLAP=FOOD.

Reaction score
My favorite training method is very similar to some suggestions above. Many of the people who have got Koi from me have reported back that it works great. If possible, feed the fish with the sun at your back. Let your shadow cast out over the water. Try to feed at approximately same time every day. As the sun sets earlier, I feed a little earlier. The fish will start to associate your shadow with the food.
If at first they still do not want to come over, go ahead and toss the food in and sit back and watch. It may take a little bit for them to get used to the practice. But they will get hungry enough.
As they get used to you more and more, then start slowly sliding your hand in to the water as they eat. Then start putting food in to your hand and down in to the water. As they get more and more at ease with you and you will be hand feeding them and petting them. If you have any darker Koi (Black, copper, Chagoi) they are the most friendly to start off with I have found. They love to eat and be friendly.
Soon enough they will come running across the pond to greet you!

Reaction score
mine are scared shitless of my shadow, but if i dont put my shadow on the pond and slowly slowly make my way there they will come up and eat, but haven't come to me yet.. in time im sure

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
mine are too social at times...i cant help but wonder if the ones that were eaten by a heron swam up to it, mouth open, and begging?

Ask a Question