sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like watching the little babies crawl up the glass.I think after I put these in the pond and clean out the tank I may start an indoor tank with mystery snails and a few fish .The tank has been in the basement and the big metal stand has been on the front porch .It was dads and could not get rid of it after he passed away .I think he would like that I decided to start using it again

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I started up a planted tank about 6 weeks ago got some plants from other tank owners and a few of them had snails and these are the kind that can reproduce like rabbits so then to keep the population under control I bought some assassin snails. They have already had one killing!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh geeze I am calling the snail cops helping snails kill .I don't think i could do that thinking of a small molly and a mystery snail and plants to start with .This stand can hold both tanks one on top and the other below .Dad had small turtles in the bottom tank.Anyone have any suggestions I would love them

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have 5 dannios, 3 pygmy cory and 2 algae shrimp. They are all fun to watch, the shrimp only come out at night and the translucent so hard to find.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sissy wow those are some huge snails! That is a purchase I plan to make in the spring. But, since you have them in an inside aquarium, I have 2 aquariums 30 and 55, so maybe I could get them now. I was wondering if you could PM me with the person's site name on ebay that denied you to buy. I'm wondering if he has been denied, and EVERYONE is being denied to purchase from him, instead of him not allowing you. Seems very strange to me, too. Maybe you have a name that is so similar to another person that duped him that he/she doesn't want to deal with that person ever again. I was going to try to do a purchase, just to see if I got the same denial that you did. :)

Also, in an aquarium, the tiny snails you are referring to, if left alone, will overpopulate your aquarium VERY quickly. They do breed like rabbits. That's why the assassin snails work well, and the same for some types of fish that will feed on the snails. Typically, in an aquarium, those tiny snails are a nuisance. Your trapdoors and my mystery snails do not multiply fast.

As far as setting up an aquarium for tropical fish, I think the easiest are the live breeders - mollies (lots of types and colors), guppies, platys (lots of types and colors). Killifish are top swimmers. Angels are middle swimmers. ALWAYS get bottom feeders like plecos (plecostomus sp?), cory cats are a load of fun to watch, always busy. I have khuli loaches and horseface loaches and a dojo loach, all of which are bottom feeders, and sometimes hide under the gravel. I just bought a second fantail goldfish, Speck! I already have "Spot" in the pond, but it was too cold to try to put this new one out there, and it's all speckled like my other one. This one is mostly white/silver with red and black spots. It gets along well with the live breeders, as none of them are tail biters typically. My big tank has angels, killifish, platys, plecos, several loaches, cory cats, purple botia. 30 gal has the guppies, mollies fantail, plecos (albino and clown), cory cats and small horseface loach. I love having variety. Of course, the fish have come a few at a time. When I bought the 55 gal, I actually brought all the water home with me, too! It's what came with 5 goldfish, which started the idea for the koi/goldfish pond! :) I've had aquariums since I was a child, but must admit that I never really understood the water parameters until this past year.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had some clown loaches and they were a blast to watch and they loved to eat snails. If you want snails in the tank sissy make sure you get fish that won't eat them. I loved the 3 spot Gourami's. They are quite pretty and graceful to watch.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sissy I also used some media from my pond and put it in my aquarium filter and believe it worked very well as I never had the spike on my numbers, they have all been right where they need to since day one. I didn't add fish until about 10 days after adding the water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
when I put the snails in the tank I used pond water and they seem to like it and are dropping babies .Funny seeing the mom and babes crawling up the glass together .The guy who blocked me was Mr Bullfrog on e-bay country and I thought maybe the same thing and contacted e-bay about it finally and they have not gotten back to me ,so he can keep his snails where I concerned .I like the nice big ones I got From springdale gardens .I can't wait to go back in the spring when everything is up and running there .They are so cheap to on there stuff .Anyone who lives in or near VA should try to visit as it makes for a nice day trip .I think when I go back I am going to get a hotel room and stay a night to see the Shanandoah Valley .Gosh with the info on tanks here I can't wait to try it .I will have to try the pond filter media to start the filter In the tank

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well I put my trap door snails in the pond and they are up in the waterfall for now .I have 29 babies still in the fish tank

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did some work on the waterfall to make it deeper but I will let them go down farther into the pond when it gets cold enough to ice over .I just wanted to keep an eye on them at first and since for the next 2 weeks it is not supposed to get below 5o degrees I figure they will be safe there for now .They are fun to watch besides ,sometimes I stop working out side and find myself just watching them move around looking for more to eat .The only thing that I see is that I can't see them cleaning a whole pond of algae .I guess they do there fair share but I am not expecting them to working to the point where they would clean a whole pond .But they are kinda cute

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They help , but you won't end up with a algae free pond, do see the trails they make as they munch along.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
very true but they are kinda fun to watch move around in the waterfall .I guess when summer gets here I should have more babes as there are the 29 i got in the fish tank right now .I guess if you had a couple of hundred of them there may be a difference .

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
As I continue to read different threads, I am learning more each time. Snails help by eating algae?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They do help by eating algae, won't rid your pond of all the algae but will help.

Ask a Question