trapdoor snails

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sissy, Nov 29, 2011.

1. sissy

j.w I Love my Goldies

Meant to say 1 & 1/4" big.

j.w, Feb 14, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. sissy

taherrmann4 Tmann

I have assassin snails in my aquarium that seek out and eat the other snails that over populate the aquarium.

taherrmann4, Feb 14, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. sissy

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Do they have little ninja swords?

addy1, Feb 14, 2012
    j.w, pondlover and CountryEscape like this.
  4. sissy

sissy sissy

ADDY LOL machine guns

sissy, Feb 14, 2012
  5. sissy

CometKeith

Last year I bought a few apple (mystery) snails from petsmart and a few fish got sick right after that. I hadn't had any noticable disease for over a year. I have a friend that will never put snails in his pond because of the diseases they carry. I wonder if apple snails carry more diseases than trap door snails, or maybe it wasn't such a good idea to buy random snails. My apple snails got picked off the rocks by birds so they didn't last any longer than the trapdoor variety that the raccoons went after, but they were really good at getting rid of the ugly black slime that grows on my waterfall rocks in early spring.

CometKeith, Feb 14, 2012
  6. sissy

CountryEscape

Keith, I think the mystery snails would not have lasted outside in the winter, unless you planned to bring them inside. The trapdoors will last through the winter, however. I've had mystery snails in my aquarium, and the only thing that seems to die after maybe 3-4 months are the snails. :) I'm thinking of leaving a few trapdoor babies in my inside aquariums and see how they do.
    So, do you think keeping them quarantined would have helped, or better yet, if best to quarantine them, what do you do with them besides keeping them in separate water ... is there anything to put in the water to make sure no diseases are brought to my pond? Thanks!

CountryEscape, Feb 14, 2012
  7. sissy

CometKeith

Country, That's a good question. I think sometimes an organism can carry a disease but not get sick themselves so I don't know if you really can quarantine them. Regarding putting something in the water to get rid of the disease. I never heard of that other than just keeping a good aquatic environment. I have read that farm raised snails are better. I wonder if they just pulled the snails from some of their tanks or if they were in fact farm raised. They were in the aquatic plant section so maybe they were okay and I am blaming the snails for no good reason. Maybe it was coincidental that the fish got sick about the same time. I have had good results with their fish. Re buying snails, If someone is selling a lot of snails they probably are making sure they are disease free.

CometKeith, Feb 15, 2012
  8. sissy

CountryEscape

Very good points, Keith. This guy said when he is able to get into his pond this spring, he will have tons of the 2" golf ball sized snails, and if I ask, he will send me 25 of that size! So, of course I told him I will wait. Also, he said when his supply gets low this time of year, he charges more for the smaller sizes. He said to let him know before I order to make sure he is at the lowest price for the season. What a good guy, but this is also the same guy (it seems) that blocked Sissy, and we are still not sure about that. I think her Ebay name must have been close to someone that jilted him and he just did not respond to her because of that! If I get all golf ball size snails, I will definitely keep a few in my inside aquarium to watch them work, and put the rest in my outdoor pond, maybe get 50 as they were less than $2 each, maybe more like $1 each if you bought 50.

CountryEscape, Feb 15, 2012
  9. sissy

CometKeith

Country, Just a thought. If you have raccoons in your area you might want to try introducing fewer snails into your pond and see if they last. Last year every night the raccoons came to visit my pond to catch my trap door snails they made a huge mess with the plants and my fish got pretty skittish in general. Finally when they caught all the snails things went back to normal!

CometKeith, Feb 17, 2012
  10. sissy

CountryEscape

I would do that, Keith; however, I live in the wide open ... and I mean WIDE open! There are no woods (or trees for that matter) for a mile in every direction from my house, just flat farmed fields. I have seen a raccoon once at my house, and that was while I was digging the pond. Yes, he could come back, but I doubt it. He got up on the pipes on the back of my house with the dogs (I had 5 at that time LOL) barking at home. I know he was not sure he was going to make it out of there alive, but I brought the dogs inside the house until he got away before I turned them back out. I do have a super barn for them to have babies in, and if I ever notice the cat food being eaten at an alarmingly rate, I will know that I have "visitors" and be on the lookout. My plan is to get a big dog (or maybe mini Aussie ...) for the backyard, that will help keep critters away from the pond. Need fence .... and dog. LOL Would love to get German Shepherd, but I'm so darn picky on what I want, and can't afford it when I find it, so will have to settle for something different. Golden Retriever is 2nd on my choices at this point, but one of my last Goldens loved to "fish", and she could catch fish, too, so don't want to start that.
    Here's the raccoon that was UNWELCOME:
    Unwelcome raccoon on house 050111.jpg
    And here is my "fishing" Golden Retriever who raised 2 baby raccoons (Jethro and Ellie Mae) when I lived in rental house:
    Sophie and kids.jpg

CountryEscape, Feb 17, 2012
    pondlover likes this.
  11. sissy

j.w I Love my Goldies

CE maybe that coon was one of the babies and it found it's way back to you at your new home,lol!

j.w, Feb 17, 2012
  12. sissy

My trapdoors are doing great, so far no raccoon disasters, our pond is pretty close to the woods. I think having the deep pond helps, the trapdoors are down deep.

addy1, Feb 17, 2012
  13. sissy

CountryEscape

Honestly, I think living in the country, we actually have less raccoons coming to our houses than some people living in the suburbs. It seems they are far more likely to go rummaging through garbage cans and the like in town than they are in the country. But, in the country, they are sneakier, too, and more skittish. In town, dogs and cats are kept inside, so they don't have to deal with them. The country dogs are more likely to run a raccoon off, although my goldens didn't. They didn't care if raccoons, opposums, skunks anything came into the barn. They might bark at them to let me know they were there, but otherwise, they were cats to the dogs and welcome. :)
    Addy, I'm hoping my pond will be deep enough and no wandering critter will find the snails, too! If you don't have maurading raccoons where you live, that's amazing!
    JW, I would love to wish that my baby coons found me here, but I'm about 15 miles west of where I used to live. But, good thought!

CountryEscape, Feb 18, 2012
  14. sissy

I have seen the raccoons, up on our deck looking for food. Seen their foot prints in the walk out area of the pond, but they do not seem to be bothering anything in the pond.

addy1, Feb 18, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question