Trimming the watercress - how to use?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know you can eat it, but don’t know how to prepare it. I am getting armfuls each time I trim.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
First question is have you added any chemicals to the pond at any time?

Its just like lettuce

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Shoot, I can’t find any locally — go figure! — so bought some seeds to grow from scratch. I have box turtles that will eat greens, so I can feed any excess to them. They aren’t picky about how it’s prepared.....as long as I dust it with a few live meal worms.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I found the very last bunch at the grocery store yesterday. It was in sorry shape but should do fine in the plant pond. I use it like arugula, put it in salads and great on sandwiches.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
good morning everyone, i used to make a soup of potato and watercress, boil some spuds till soft add watercress at the end blend it up add salt and pepper splash of cream very nice warming soup :happy:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - salads, sandwiches, add to soups. We juice a lot of greens, so I'll add some to the green juice, too. It has a distinctive flavor, so give it a taste and see what you're inspired to do with it! (And to be honest, once ours gets going, we use a ton of it as green mulch in the garden - there's just so much!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Water cress is great . It grows really realy fast. Exactly what you want to absorb extra nutrients in the pond and is easy removed. Though it does create a thick mass of roots as thick as hair it is easy removed from the pond.

Reaction score
I have been on the look out for water cress at the local stores, but have not found any... didn't think of seeds, but too lazy to go store to store. Guess that means an online order...
What should i germinate these in to get them started? I do remember vaguely that in primary school (elementary) i think we used wet paper towels?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have been on the look out for water cress at the local stores, but have not found any... didn't think of seeds, but too lazy to go store to store. Guess that means an online order...
What should i germinate these in to get them started? I do remember vaguely that in primary school (elementary) i think we used wet paper towels?
I bought some peat pots from Home Depot. They can probably be found at any garden store or in the garden section of places like WallyWorld. I got the kind that already have soil — they are in a compressed form, and you add water to get them to puff up, then add the seeds. I’m not a gardener, so I look for quick and easy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
First question is have you added any chemicals to the pond at any time?

Its just like lettuce
No Chemicals (just some fertilizer in my lilies - that I forgot to add this season)

Jmajid - come up to DFW, I will give you a couple of handfuls. :)

Reaction score
@Crimedog How did you "plant" these in your pond? Got photos of them in the pond?
TIA
Re: coming up - i wish - this past year has severely crimped our nature of jump in the car and go for a wander... roll on 2021.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just got a bundle from the grocery store and stuck them into the Bog. They came up but did not do anything the first year (last year) this year they took over. I actually pulled up a big handful, tucked the roots underneath and threw it in as a floater.
This picture is early - the watercress has about doubled and I have trimmed it twice.

Attachments

• WaterCress.jpg
    WaterCress.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 46
Reaction score
Country
United States
and I stuffed some stems in the waterfall and they caught on as well. I am trying strawberries and tomatoes in my bog, hope they do as well as the watercress.

Ask a Question