Watercress

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I went all over town today, looking for fresh watercress in our supermarkets. Zilch. I wasn’t expecting it to be that hard to find! Hubby is looking it up for me. There are online sites that sell it (marketed for ponds), but prices ranged between $6 up to $27 PER PLANT!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That is unfortunate!

I did pay $8 for mind from my local pond store, though, so I guess I'm a sucker. XD

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Its been hard to find here as well. Usually only available in early spring. Only place I saw it was Harris Teeter!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I went all over town today, looking for fresh watercress in our supermarkets. Zilch. I wasn’t expecting it to be that hard to find! Hubby is looking it up for me. There are online sites that sell it (marketed for ponds), but prices ranged between $6 up to $27 PER PLANT!
GOOD grief, i literally got home yesterday and i ripped out arm fulls of water cress. i just went over to the pile and alot is still healthy but with these temps it won't ship well at all . it would have to be packed with a cold pack or two probably why they wanted 26 bucks

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If any of our “farmers markets” were active, I could always check them out, but they’ve been shut down for Covid. Guess I’ll have to leave the big city of Shreveport, and hit some rural, Mom & Pop grocery stores, LOL!

I have heard about watercress in ponds for years, but never had a need for it. Thought it would be easy to find. You just never know. It’s the “toilet paper” of ponding!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bwahahahahaha! "The toilet paper of ponding" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Got a loud chuckle out of me too. LETS HOPE IT DOESNT BECOME A STAPLE TGE WAY THINGS ARE GOING pops i hate caps but i emphasize a lot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ve looked around here for it too. So you folks who are able to have to toss some, next spring share some!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I’ve looked around here for it too. So you folks who are able to have to toss some, next spring share some!

I wonder how you could ship it. It really goes downhill fast after you pull it out of the water.

I also wonder if this is one of those "spring only" products in the grocery store. I don't generally see it much past May.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I haven't had any luck finding it either. Maybe I was looking too late in the season. Thanks for the tip @Lisak1 . I will try looking earlier!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Put a ice pack or two in a Styrofoam cooler then newspaper or cardboard your plastic bag wet newspapers wrapped around the water cress ship over night. It will make it but for a plant you can get in the spring for under a buck is going to cost you. If your looking for something to grow fast and take up nutrients try lotus frog bit and hornwart.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I hit a few more stores this morning and even posted on FB! :oops: :rolleyes:

@GBBUDD Hornwort doesn’t do well here — I think it gets too hot or something, but I did just order some frog bit. Thanks for that recommendation.

Ask a Question