Two pumps in skimmer box

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi barryian.... Yes that's what I was asking you! I'm pretty sure one of the 2 pumps is bad and that's why the GFI was tripping, what I'm trying to figure out now, is if the pump went bad cause that's what pumps do in time, or if having two pumps in the same skimmer caused one of them to overwork until it went bad

I'm betting (as pumps do overtime) that your's went bad. You can run 2 pumps on a 15 or 20 amp circuit in most cases as it's not going to be a problem. highly unlikely the amperage overloaded.
Actually, the majority of times I replaced a pump, it was tripping the breaker but ran when not in water.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
or Breakers can go bad over time also .I had one that was loose and i had to change it out .Storms cause surges that can damage breakers also .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
... I've never heard of running 2 in one skimmer rather than a larger flow capacity in gph.
One thing if you have the outlets is, run one on one circuit and one on another. I have 2 GFI circuits and one pump runs on one, the bio filter off another and each of my 2 UV's are also setup like that. If I'm away and one should trip due to a fault, something is always working. Otherwise why not just one large pump?
Sorry I totally missed this post, yesterday
The contractor set up each pump to feed separate waterfalls
...and yes, good idea to plug them in, on different GFI! Thanks!....sometimes the obvious, is not so obvious until someone points it out! :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Now's your chance to go Big!
The good pump has a flow of 4200 gph, the pump I need to replace had a flow of 2380gph. My pond is 3000g., what size pump would you (or anyone who wants to reply) suggest?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
or Breakers can go bad over time also .I had one that was loose and i had to change it out .Storms cause surges that can damage breakers also .

If the breaker was bad, the other
The good pump has a flow of 4200 gph, the pump I need to replace had a flow of 2380gph. My pond is 3000g., what size pump would you (or anyone who wants to reply) suggest?

I'm using 2800 gph in an 2000 gal pond to one waterfall. I guess there are a lot of variables which is the weir size, flow rate, PVC diameter ( 2")
and with a UV in the skimmer, that can't run too fast or the UV would be less effect. This is a good question for @Meyer Jordan who will be here shortly after putting his name in ...lol ...

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Dang, usually want to turn the water over at least twice an hour. Seems the pump you lost was taking up the slack. Anything over 2000 gph should do it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Dang, usually want to turn the water over at least twice an hour. Seems the pump you lost was taking up the slack. Anything over 2000 gph should do it.
Should I get a 4200gph to match the other one I have, or do you think it's an overdo? I'm trying to figure out if it's best to match the two pumps or if it doesn't matter, in which case I would spend less and get a 22gph

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

I didn't realize that you had asked another question. Sorry!
You apparently added another waterfall because you wanted another waterfall. Great!! Double the aeration.
But you do want a waterfall, don't you? Splash for your cash?
Then replace the bad pump with another of the same flow rate (GPH). On a separate circuit.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Breakers can be bad and still work but when the load is more than the breaker can handle being bad they can trip .My son is a licensed electrician .I use 2 pumps one is 2900 gph and the other is 2400 gph and combine watt used is around 120 and the most .They are the laguna ones .

Ask a Question