underground pipework-which is best?

Reaction score
Hi, first time in the forum & I am looking for advice! I have inheritated a pond with a few lovely koi & I now have the bug, have decided to build a new pond ( approx 7-10,000 gallons) the wife thinks I am crazy (TRUE). I will upload lots of photo's of my pond build as I progress, at the moment I have just started digging out, done a little research & have been shocked to find out how much it is going to cost!(in for a penny- in for a fortune) anyway having looked at lots of the posts on this site, it seems nobody has specified which pipework to use, I will shortly be at the stage where I will be putting the bottom drains in & I would like to know which pipe I should use? class E pressure? Terrain? Polypipe?
As the foundations are the part of the pond, I will not get a secnd chance, I would love to get this right first time.

I look forward to your replies

Many many thanks

Andy

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hellofrog7.gif
Andy
Can't help ya w/ the piping as all I have is tubing to my falls and no bottom drains but you'll get lots of ideas from people soon I'm sure. Will be looking forward to watching you do all the hard work on your pond build while I sit and sip my lemonade :goodnight: :razz:

Reaction score
Thanks J.W.

Sure somebody will know the best pipe that I should use!

I will keep you all updated as soon as I manage to upload the pic's

Many thanks

Andy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and most people over here use abs or pvc .ABS is black pipe and PVC is white pipe .ABS mostly for the drain I would think and PVC for water lines and all the rest .You tube has some good video's of how to do it step by step.I don't have a bottom drain and sure there are people on here that do that can ell you better

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomefromgang4.gif

to our group, a lot use pvc, the white stuff for bottom drains.

Reaction score
Hi Andymann.
Im a plumber and would recommend either 3" terrain,durable and easy to work with,that size seems to work ok in the pond i inherited,I have 3 pipes from main pond to settlement area,Terrain is a lot cheaper than ABS.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I use PVC. The all white pipe for my pond. Works great, easy to bend the way you want it too, thick side walls so you don't have to worry about the water pressure from the pump.

Reaction score
welcome to the group... good luck with deciding as i'm sure each has their strengths and weakness in applications.. personally i used pvc but think the flexible pvc type pipe is better as their would be no joints/angels and only have to deal with two places for a possible leak not at every joint. but careful work and planning, using pvc and heating it to conform to the bend you want can work from what i have heard and read, just will have more connections to make

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
The only connections I have had when using pvc was my end fittings, a few short 90* fittings and special joints when adding a valve or a wye. Everything else I've heated it up and formed to bend how I needed it. Yeah, pvc takes more time, but its more durable. I like it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Kougs I wonder if he is from Kent in England or Kent in Washington....................I'm thinking England or did I miss something where he said here, if so forgive me :question:

Reaction score
Terrain pipe is PVCu drainage pipe here in the UK,And is normally solvent welded,And in the 30 years i have used it,I have never had any problems,It will take a working pressure of 10 bar/145psi,And ideal for pond applications.

Reaction score
Many thanks for all your replies!
I have now decided to go with black 110mm terrain pipe, as I have now found this to be the standard.
By the way, I live in Kent in England! seems KingKenny is my neighbour!
I will keep you all posted on my pond build.
Thanks again.

Andy

Reaction score
Hi, first time in the forum & I am looking for advice! I have inheritated a pond with a few lovely koi & I now have the bug, have decided to build a new pond ( approx 7-10,000 gallons) the wife thinks I am crazy (TRUE). I will upload lots of photo's of my pond build as I progress, We'll be looking forward to the pictures....
at the moment I have just started digging out, done a little research & have been shocked to find out how much it is going to cost!(in for a penny- in for a fortune) It's only money.
anyway having looked at lots of the posts on this site, it seems nobody has specified which pipework to use, I will shortly be at the stage where I will be putting the bottom drains in & I would like to know which pipe I should use? class E pressure? Terrain? Polypipe? Sorry, can't help you, never heard of any of those types of pipes, just make sure your bottom drain will connect to whatever you use.
As the foundations are the part of the pond, I will not get a secnd chance, I would love to get this right first time. Good thinking.

I look forward to your replies

Many many thanks

Andy

So Andy what type of filter system do you plan on installing after the bottom drain???

Ask a Question