Underlay, Made Of?

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
Evening all,

As I mentioned in a previous thread, the builder put some underlay in the pond to place rocks for protection of the underlay.

I am wondering if the underlay is made of anything that may be harmfull to fish?? Does anyone know any company that
manufactures the stuff that I can call to find out if any chemicals are used in the material of the underlay?

Thanks for the help.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I bought my liner and some underlay from bend and tarp, the underlay is stated to be fish safe, and small pieces are put into the pond to be put under any heavy rocks, pots etc. Yours should be fish safe. do you have the brand?

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
Thank you taherrmann4 for the link. It was a great help in my research.

Turns out, the underlay is a geotextile which is woven and made from different natural fibers so it should be
completely safe for fish and plants.

The pond installer put a layer of underlay, the liner, then another layer of underlay where the rock bed is then trimmed
it off at the top. He mentioned that in previous installs, such rock like pea gravel would get caught in the folds of the liner
and with walking around on it with boots and being caught in the folds may cause punctures or tares in the liner.

By laying the underlay at the bottom for the rocks provides that extra protection for the liner.

That being said, many of you are against the rock bottom understandebly so, but the look is incredilbe! More pictures to come
in my other thread!!! There be water in there.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The look is incredible now but later you may be knocking yourself in the head for keeping it in there, lol! Just enjoy it for now while it's nice and clean and don't worry about it til you need to. Maybe you will find some foolproof way to keep it clean.........who knows? Did you ask the builders how you are supposed to get the gunk out between all those rocks? Would be interesting to hear what they say.
Glad the underlayment is fish safe and will protect your liner. I'll go take a look in your other thread to see more of your neat pix :)

Ask a Question