• Baby koi?

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I started this pond with just two goldfish that came with the property. I expanded the pond and added more fish (koi). After just over a year more fish started showing up. They are now large enough that I noticed there are a lot of them. 12-18 at best count. I bought an under water camera and managed to capture a few shots of two different types. I still have one other type that I haven't gotten a photo of yet.
Can anyone help me identify them?

Attachments

• IMG_9888.PNG
    IMG_9888.PNG
    273.9 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_9889.PNG
    IMG_9889.PNG
    297.9 KB · Views: 311
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I think they are dark goldfish. I have had several like this and they eventually turn orange. I think they are fun to observe in this stage -- something about the dark color makes you focus on the shape. They are pretty!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think they are dark goldfish. I have had several like this and they eventually turn orange. I think they are fun to observe in this stage -- something about the dark color makes you focus on the shape. They are pretty!

There are a lot of them! Some have gray outlines around there eyes and fins. If these are all goldfish then I'm gonna need to expand my pond lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I didn't know goldfish started life as dark fish. I've taken some underwater videos of them. They have beautiful patterns. They will be awesome fish when they grow up

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Some of ours have been black from birth and stayed that way for several years, then over a matter of days turn orange. Others are born white or orange or a blend and stay that color. It's pretty cool to see all the different patterns and colors that you can end up with.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I didn't know goldfish started life as dark fish. I've taken some underwater videos of them. They have beautiful patterns. They will be awesome fish when they grow up
Yes, goldfish do start out with that olive color -- it's a form of camouflage, to keep them safer from predators as the darker color blends in with their surroundings. They do look like goldfish, but could be hybrids since you have both koi and goldfish. Whatever, it will be fun to watch them change over time.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep agree with everyone goldfish ,koi are very distinctive looking .That shape is goldies .My koi baby,notice the longer body
101_1636.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Unless calico, all my goldfish with any level of black on them turned their black to orange... any level. Jet black celestial turned orange over the summer.... mostly black ryukin turned orange the first year with some black highlights and the second year all orange.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
keeping in mind that gf fry are grey some times but still these fishes look a bit different then common goldfish i dontknow why , 2nd one looks like a koi too and 1st can be Crucian carp or Prussian carp they are like wild ancestors of gold fish or cuzens

its true it can turnout to b a gf too but its body and mouth looks a bit different , time will tell , do u have goldfishes ?

ihv seen similer fishes appear in others pond without any goldfish too , i think there eggs can come from plants or birds or water too . there was one thread here aswell

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I read that that's why large Koi and Goldfish cost more....Because when they are small, you can't yet determine what they will look like.
Also, the darker color is the natural color. They've been bred for thousands of years to favor the bright orange coloration.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Hi,

It looks like you're getting cross breeding. Koi and Goldfish can produce young, but they tend to be sterile. The results can also be... interesting :)

I started with 3 goldfish, and added koi, and i have some *very* interesting fish now. It's cool to see what turns up each year :)

Unfortunately, with time, you'll also get genetic defects due to cross breeding a small population size, which shows up as tumors, malformed fish etc....

You might also find these black fish turn gold later, or keep some of the black markings.

Cheers,

Andy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
keeping in mind that gf fry are grey some times but still these fishes look a bit different then common goldfish i dontknow why , 2nd one looks like a koi too and 1st can be Crucian carp or Prussian carp they are like wild ancestors of gold fish or cuzens

its true it can turnout to b a gf too but its body and mouth looks a bit different , time will tell , do u have goldfishes ?

ihv seen similer fishes appear in others pond without any goldfish too , i think there eggs can come from plants or birds or water too . there was one thread here aswell
I have two goldfishand 7 koi in my pond. Might be a little bit of cross breeding.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
or if you brought plants into your pond and did not clean them .I had a couple here last week to pick up baby fish because they had no fish in the pond they built last year and after they added the 3 I gave them 6 more came out of hiding that they had no clue were there .They added several plants so guessing since they got the plants from the garden center where I go that keep fish in with the plants ,they came home with eggs .They never thought to clean the plant roots and repot them .Now they know

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
or if you brought plants into your pond and did not clean them .I had a couple here last week to pick up baby fish because they had no fish in the pond they built last year and after they added the 3 I gave them 6 more came out of hiding that they had no clue were there .They added several plants so guessing since they got the plants from the garden center where I go that keep fish in with the plants ,they came home with eggs .They never thought to clean the plant roots and repot them .Now they know
I haven't bought any new plants since last year. So I don't think that's where they came from. I have three older fish (2 goldfish 1koi) I think two of them must have spawned. All the rest of my fish are only a year or two old.

Ask a Question