Unusual Lotus Question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, update to this thread ... bumping it forward.
I have 40 seeds, 5 each of 8 different colors. I now realize I have no idea if any of these are hardy or not. Darn! I'm doing an experiment with 2 of each of the colors. Some I am scoring on the sides, others on the ends. I saw (after I scored 4 of them on the sides) that the website I bought them from showed to score on the end, not the end with the tiny stem, but the other end, if that makes sense. It was very hard to determine which end was the correct end, as some did not have the stem, but then noticed the other end had more like a hole on it. So, we shall see which type sprouts better, or at all! So far I've scored 6 seeds, 3 different colors. I guess worse case scenario is I will bring them into the garage for winter, to keep them from freezing, but eventually would love to have the pot buried next to my ponds for winter keeping, if any are hardy that is. I have one that looks identical to Addy's pic above, double white with pink edges (at least the pic of what the seed is supposed to produce looks that way), then another double that is deep pink. Also have yellow, blue and purple, and variations of those. We shall see how I do! I think I'm starting them too early, but I guess I'll just put them in pots under a light if/when the grow big enough to get planted. I guess the planting part is the delicate part for the sprouts. If have luck sprouting, but no luck transplanting, then I'll use the other seeds to be placed directly on the kitty litter, to sprout right in their containers. If anyone else has pointers for me, please post away! And, thanks for those of you who posted on here last summer with your experiences.

Reaction score
Pecan, maybe you could be our new lotus supplier!!!!!! :banana: I love lotus myself and just ordered my first one finally...the pricing always detoured me but i broke down finally.... :grumble:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I bought I think 4 last year, Toni, and maybe one of them has survived. Have the pot in the garage for the winter, keep it from freezing. And, that was after 2 of them were replaced. They all grew well in the beginning, but then died after had nice pads on the water. Not sure what I did wrong, so let me know how yours does. I guess they are VERY fragile and hard to transplant, that's why the local greenhouses don't usually carry them. The seeds I have started did similar things. Grew, shoot and leaf heading above the water surface, then the leaf never opened up, but rather turned black. In my house, so no cold weather hit them. Friend on this forum who sells plants said that once they broke the water surface, my house was too dry for their liking. So, now keeping the other shoots underwater, see if that helps them continue to grow. Learning as I go, and enjoying every bit of it!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just sanded the pointy end of mine off and after a I saw the roots were good and hardy a week later i gently pulled the soft husk off .I put them in the basement for winter since i bought the seed pods at hobby lobby and guessing they are not hardy .5 dollars for 6 seed heads .

Ask a Question