addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Take a closer picture of it so we can see the leaves and structure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If the UV light electrics are questionable, I would disconnect it completely until it is made safe.. The bulb probably needs to be replaced anyways.
You will need to keep checking to see how much detritus is being caught by the foam filters and clean them regularly. Daily cleaning may be required in the beginning.
Can you tell how deep the buildup of detritus is on the bottom of the pond?
Are those reeds in their own pots, or planted in some dirt? They will most likely have trapped a fair amount of detritus and depending on where the water enters back into the pond from the filter, may need to be cleaned out somehow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Can you give us the make and model number off the pump, or can you see what it's rating is for liters/hour?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cut those reeds back to nothing, clean the crap out from around them. They'll grow back.
I worked on my iris, there was a ton of stuff around the roots. I depotted them, most had jumped out of the pots anyways. So while doing that I lifted, removed dead roots, debris etc. They do collect a lot of stuff.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The frog spawn
IMAG0493.jpg
I'll get the details of the pump tomorrow ,

When I opened the uv filter there was a warning not to look at the light when on , I expected it to be really bright , anyway how could I know if it was working , I got a pair of sunglasses lol , wired it all up properly connected the bulb properly and just a blueish glow from it . Is that normal ?

IMAG0491.jpg
IMAG0492.jpg

The water returns to the pond on the right of the reeds , the hose you can see is from the pump to the filter

The reeds are in pots

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Yes, the UV light is bluish. The plant in the pot is a water lily. Seems like things are coming along nicely:)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The main goal now is to get the water clear , any suggestions what to put around the pump , I've read someone used a basket to put the pump in then wrapped the filling stuff from a duvet cover , I pulled a pillow open but the stuff inside just falls apart

Thanks for everyone's help

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Put a pre-filter on your pump intake. Clean it often to maximize its performance.

Here are just a couple of examples of pump pre-filters. They all do the same thing, regardless of manufacturer.

pump pre-filter 2.gif
pump prefilter 1.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMAG0494.jpg

The water is a lot clearer but the dirt is settled at the bottom , as soon as it gets disturbed clouds of dirt appear ,

I can see the fish better , they have dark spots on them , is that a disease ?

They are all white can Orange markings come and go dependant on health ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
With the reeds in front of the outflow, there is almost no appreciable water circulation in your pond.
We need to find a way to change that.
Can you move the potted reeds somewhere else in the pond? There needs to be more water circulation so the dirt that gets stirred up can remain suspended and removed by the filter.
Perhaps someone else can advise you regarding the spots on the fish, knowing some water test numbers will help with that.
Test numbers for KH, PH, Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia would be good to know.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They are all white can Orange markings come and go dependant on health ?

It's hard to see the spots in the photo, but I can tell you fish colors will change. We have a few that go from all white to almost solid orange and back again several times each year. Many of our others go through more subtle color changes. But they're all healthy so I wouldn't worry about that being a sign something is wrong with your fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I suggest you cut down/ yank out all the plants that's blocking the return of the water to your pond. Or move it to the other side. Do not worry about them, they will come back :)

Ask a Question