Using inflatable pools as a Quarentine pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
There has been much discussion by members about using inflatable ponds as a sort of ready made Quarentine pond for either new and sick fish .
The general concensus is that they are brilliant for the job cheap to buy and when deflated easy to store away.
So I looked into the inflatable pools a little more and was shocked to find that some of them are actually treated prior to being sold.
What are they treated with well they with an algicide that can in some cases not only harm your fish but kill them.
So if your going to use one as a QT pond it would be an idea to ask if they are pre treated with algicide and if the answer is yes turn the sale down and look elsware .

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a snap set and cleaned it with peroxide and water but always wondered about if it is infused into the liner when they make them .The snapset pools 6 ft wide by 14 1/2 deep are good .Mine from walmart here was 18.99 ,wish I had got one on clearance last year they were 10 dollars then DUMMY ME

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, I was wondering if there's some way you could rinse them...? But if not, would very frequent water changes help?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought one 8x10 last year and haven't used it yet. Guess I will rinse it well and just use for pond plant sales.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
ONCE AGAIN..I USE AND HAVE USED "SNAPSET" POOLS TO RAISE FRY IN EVERY YEAR FOR YEARS..YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RINSE THEM, CLEAN THEM WITH PEROXIDE OR ANYTHING ELSE. JUST FILL THEM WITH DECHLORINATED WATER OR POND WATER, HOOK UP A PUMP AND FILTER AND USE THEM. I HAVE RAISED THOUSANDS OF KOI FRY IN THEM, WITHOUT INCIDENT.
HERE IS A LINK TO ONE OF MY FRY HATCHERY THREADS..NOTICE THE "SNAPSET" POOL. I PROBABLY HAVE CLOSE TO 10 OR 12 FRY THREADS WITH LOTS OF PICS AND VIDEOS ALL IN THE POOLS IN QUESTION.THEY ARE OF PVC CONSTRUCTION.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/this-years-spawn-thread.11907/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanx for coming in on this one koiguy I knew you'd found one that was safe however i can only report what I've found out about algicide being used on some makes
I have peoples fish at heart here thats all as to using peroxide I wouldnt have suggested that for the possible staining it may cause

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
snap set pools are cheaper than blow up pools plus I would not want to blow one up and most people don't have air compressors .I use a mixture of peroxide and water and just use a pump sprayer .Not really worried about staining it as sure not something people would notice.I first worried about the smell and the powdery stuff that was inside it to keep it from sticking together in the box .It was really smelly stuff .Does not say what they use .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if you go on youtube you will find plenty of INTEX brand pools being used. PAUL HOOI in Thailand, who is one serious koi enthusiast will tell you breeders and dealers there use them, theres a breeder here in the states who uses them for sales ponds. if its INTEX its safe.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
snap set pools are cheaper than blow up pools plus I would not want to blow one up and most people don't have air compressors .I use a mixture of peroxide and water and just use a pump sprayer .Not really worried about staining it as sure not something people would notice.I first worried about the smell and the powdery stuff that was inside it to keep it from sticking together in the box .It was really smelly stuff .Does not say what they use .
you use a shop vac ..put the hose on the outlet. takes about 20 - 30 seconds to fill the top ring on a 8' round 30" deep INTEX easyset pool. i had a 15" round one. last year i also used a 5' x 8'rectangular 2 ring pool as a secondary fry pond. and holding pond as i transfered the fish inside..no problems.
the smell coming from the pool is the pvc. a pvc pond liner smells the same. a chemical smell .its the poly vinyl chloride.

Last edited:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
just as note..people have problems with the ring on the easy set pools because they tend to overinflate them. they put too much tension on seams then the hot sun comes into play. they soften a bit. then people think its losing air and add more, further stretching the material and seams. and stretches them out. the ring need not be real firm, just slightly taught.

Ask a Question