Using sand to build up pond sides

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I want to build up the sides of my pond a few inches and level them out . Do you think it would be OK to use sand for this or should I use a sand/concrete mix ?

I have a professional drawn diagram attached , no expense spared *cough*

You can see where I am thinking of putting the sand underneath the liner . In behind that will be a layer of concrete and my paving will sit on that and the sand and the concrete will hold the paving in position.

The alternative is to use a sand/concrete mix to build up the sides but is that necessary do you think because I am guessing the pressure of the water against the liner should be good enough to keep the sand in place ?

Your thoughts are appreciated as always
Martin

Attachments

• sand_sides.png
    sand_sides.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 986
Reaction score
Not an expert, but this seems like a really terrile idea. That sand won't stay in place, you're going to end up with a big problem. I did the same thing as your drawing shows, but I used hard packed clay. I would definitely not try this.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I would agree with Bucky, clay would be a far better choice. Sand is not stable and will settle. Clay will pack down and be a little more stable for a small berm.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
YEP...Sand does settle, it also can and likely will washout faster than most any dirt. clay will pack and become a good solid base.

Reaction score
Use sand bags they will work.

Sand bags might be a better idea alright but not in my case as the pond needs to be built up at one end so it would be very time consuming making up individual bags.

I think either clay or the concrete option so might be the way to go here ?

Reaction score
My clay turned into red cement. I let it bake in the sun while my liner was being delivered, it cracked like crazy, but the dogs used to jump down in the hole to play in the sand on the bottom, and they would claw their way out. I only found 1 little bit of clay in the pond that they knocked loose. I was amazed.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
yeah the sand will try to wash away, but lets get down to the bigger problem at hand... one of your fish looks sick in your picture, something just isnt right. Get him some help

Reaction score
yeah the sand will try to wash away, but lets get down to the bigger problem at hand... one of your fish looks sick in your picture, something just isnt right. Get him some help

Poor fishy ! But seriously , how would it wash away if its underneath liner and paving ? its 'trapped' there . Do you mean it will be absorbed by the earth ?

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
More settle than anything, but even little cracks between the pavers... any where the water can run off will carry the sand right along with it. I have very sandy soil at my place, and even though the edges of the pond are built up water still finds ways of seeping under the liner, the sand, being sand, is like a sponge to the water anyway and wants to pull water into it when its dry.

Reaction score
I would be most worried about moisture getting under there, as soon as that happens, that sand is going to do terrible things. I have an EPDM liner, but the liner is only as good as the foundation that it's laid upon, sand is not foundation at all, it's padding for the bottom, but that's it.

Reaction score
ok well , all sound advice . I might go down the route of using concrete so . Our soil here is not solid like 'clay' but an option would be to use topsoil and compact that down possibly.

Reaction score
Compacting soil seems totally reasonable to me. It may not be 100% rock solid, but it will be good enough to stand strong in most situations.

Ask a Question