Viewing window questions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We have a member with a window just as you describe. Daily cleaning depends on how well algae is suppressed. Glass is a must because of the clouding over time. Sealing the seam around the glass is key. An engineer will know what is required. Observation overhead is a nice substitute. We have a deck elevated 10 feet above our pond that gives a great visual, although a horizontal view sounds more dynamic. A horizontal alternative is a bubble view. Take a plexiglas hemisphere set in the pond surface, converse side up and pump the air out. The bubble will stay full so long as air bubbles don’t enter. Viola! Koi in the bubble.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well its been quite a while since I posted on here, so I figured I give you guys a quick update. not completed yet...which I should have known with the two little ones running the show at home along with the other random commitments. The framing of the pond is complete and plywood is up on the inside of the pond. Also got the first 2 coats of the pond armor on the inside. this weekend I will put the fiberglass strips over all of the seams...and it looks like I might have to do the same over the screw heads as well, not a big deal I've got plenty of it. If the fiberglass goes as planned I will be able to lock in the window as well or sometime next week after work.

After that sets in I will put on another coat of pond armor and then add water to test for leaks. No leaks - the I will add some insulation in between the 2x4s and put plywood on the outside.

Still a long way to go but the end is nearing...too bad I didn't get it all done before the first snow.

Attachments

• plywood.jpg
    plywood.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 285
  • 2nd coat.jpg
    2nd coat.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 286
  • 2nd coat-2.jpg
    2nd coat-2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 280
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How you getting on with your viewing window, I completed mine in March and still admire it every time I pass a window in the house

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had some issues...mostly with getting a solid amount of time to actually get out and complete some of the work on the project. We had a weird and wet spring which made getting anything done with the pond armor and fiberglass a real challenge. Then once the weather finally cleared up and I finally had some time to get out and finish off the inside we ran into a blazing hot streak where every day was close to 100 degrees F and I think that caused some issues with the paint. I saw some places where it began to show cracks, and had to paint over it. I loved the look of it and in all honesty it probably would have worked a lot better if I had taken some time off and made this project a priority and got the entire thing done in a week or less. My guess is that the extreme heat had something to do with the issues with the pond armor...that and i'm probably not that great with fiberglass (my first time using it). 3 water tests and I had 3 leaks :mad: so after a slightly angry conversation with the wife I broke down and purchased an EPDM liner.

I had to order some gold label pond sealant to make sure that the liner would adhere to the inside of the pond and I wouldn't have any leaks around the window. Filled it up with no leaks for about 3 hours...and then something started to show at the bottom corner of the window. :mad::mad::mad: broke out my 4 year olds swimming goggles and did some rather chilly underwater work (one of the biggest benefits of the gold label sealant...can be used underwater) and that did the trick!

Got the pump and biofalls hooked up just so that we can have the waterfalls sound in the background too.

The little kids absolutely love the window and will sit in front of it for 10-15 minutes as soon as they go outside. I'll post some pictures later.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Finally finished off the outside and got the waterfall up and running. Only thing left that we might tweak is the waterfall itself...might add some levels to it to add more noise, it’s getting drowned out by crickets at night

Attachments

• 39761C33-DCA2-4E8B-B03D-3CC1CC0E4EBA.jpeg
    39761C33-DCA2-4E8B-B03D-3CC1CC0E4EBA.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 164
  • F3777CD4-64E6-4E3C-9783-CE0A6018F011.jpeg
    F3777CD4-64E6-4E3C-9783-CE0A6018F011.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 184
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks j.w! So far all of the 6 “tester” goldfish are thriving and getting fat on the koi food. We have 11 small 3-5” koi...nothing fancy, just a mix from a big box store although there are some that I think could look really cool in a year or two. My 4 year old had to have a yellow one so we have a butterfly Yamabuki Ogon. One bekko that is getting fat, a few sanke and showa and one that I can’t quite tell yet if it’s a kujaku or asagi (which I was surprised to see in a big box store).

Reaction score
Country
United States
Haha that’s the plan ;) It worked with my fishing kayak and I am gradually convincing my wife that we need a fishing boat too!

Ask a Question