Wading Pool w/ Waterfalls

Reaction score
When I dug my pond I sloped one end (for the dogs). It probably went from about 8" deep to about 1-1/2' deep over approximately 6' before it dropped off into the deep end. I found that this was way too steep. Any rocks I had in there kept sliding into the deep end. The dog didn't like it cause it was too slippery and she couldn't keep her footing.

This year I lifted the liner and leveled it off at about 2' deep. (That's why it's such a good idea to fold excess liner under rather than cutting it off.) I love it, the dog loves it and the fish like it too.

I have a Cyber-Rottie (Siberian Husky/Rottweiler) and a Shepherd/Chow.

Reaction score
When I dug my pond I sloped one end (for the dogs). It probably went from about 8" deep to about 1-1/2' deep over approximately 6' before it dropped off into the deep end. I found that this was way too steep. Any rocks I had in there kept sliding into the deep end. The dog didn't like it cause it was too slippery and she couldn't keep her footing.

This year I lifted the liner and leveled it off at about 2' deep. (That's why it's such a good idea to fold excess liner under rather than cutting it off.) I love it, the dog loves it and the fish like it too.

I have a Cyber-Rottie (Siberian Husky/Rottweiler) and a Shepherd/Chow.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

The next question I want to tackle is whether to dig or build on top of the clay that is in my yard. I want a tree for shade, but since it';s new development, I will be planting a sapling. My concern is the roots and the liner. Is it possible to prevent damage to the liner if i position the tree far enough away from the liner edge?

Also, does the skimmer and pump setup go on top of the liner or outside of it? I want the pump submerged to keep it running cooler.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

The next question I want to tackle is whether to dig or build on top of the clay that is in my yard. I want a tree for shade, but since it';s new development, I will be planting a sapling. My concern is the roots and the liner. Is it possible to prevent damage to the liner if i position the tree far enough away from the liner edge?

Also, does the skimmer and pump setup go on top of the liner or outside of it? I want the pump submerged to keep it running cooler.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have a big tree and small trees next to mine and i havent had any root trouble
If you have excess liner lay it on the tree side of the pond for protection just in case a root comes around

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have a big tree and small trees next to mine and i havent had any root trouble
If you have excess liner lay it on the tree side of the pond for protection just in case a root comes around

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have Coral trees, which have pretty invasive surface roots. I dug a trench on the side I was worried about and burried a piece of Hardie Backer board standing up as a blockade for the roots.
BTW, these trees grow fast, look beautiful and provide nice shade. Every December they have crimson red flowers that last a few months. I have to keep my netting handy to keep leaves from the pond, but it is worth it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have Coral trees, which have pretty invasive surface roots. I dug a trench on the side I was worried about and burried a piece of Hardie Backer board standing up as a blockade for the roots.
BTW, these trees grow fast, look beautiful and provide nice shade. Every December they have crimson red flowers that last a few months. I have to keep my netting handy to keep leaves from the pond, but it is worth it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I not only don't use skimmers, I don't recommend them for fish ponds.

Since this is a thread about a wading pool, I would place a skimmer opposite the pump intake. If you have large leaves, make sure the skimmer opening can handle them.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I not only don't use skimmers, I don't recommend them for fish ponds.

Since this is a thread about a wading pool, I would place a skimmer opposite the pump intake. If you have large leaves, make sure the skimmer opening can handle them.

Ask a Question