wall between small upper pool w/waterfall and main pond

Reaction score
here's one to get started!

20110709171734.jpg

that's the most recent pic, but the retaining wall is now 4 rows high, backfilled, and the liner is trimmed.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get some of the rock on a roll, if it is a spot that will be hard to hide, it works well, thye make it in gray and brown. I have used a few pieces in my stream and have some more areas to work on.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
Get some of the rock on a roll, if it is a spot that will be hard to hide, it works well, thye make it in gray and brown. I have used a few pieces in my stream and have some more areas to work on.

yeah, i expect to use a lot of that crap. all in all, i'm pretty pleased with the final result of the liner. 185 pound liner plus extremely irregular pond shape was quite a challenge for a first pond

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks like you are doing good! thanks for the picture!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Only 5 fingers and 2 thumbs left to go :lol:
Let's hope you will be done by then and so far your work looks great :lol:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol jw no kidding, maybe we need to send bandaids!

Reaction score
so here's the progress i made today. the water is at its final level:

20110710191549.jpg

it's supposed to rain tomorrow evening so i'm going to have to take care of the overflow pipe. I'm thinking of a doing a short dry streambed and dumping to that.

what materials do i need to run the pvc through the liner? just a bulkhead?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If your just running it for a over-flow drain a flat lip shower drain would work, Going to have to make sure what ever you use will make a flush seal. A bulkhead fitting will work too.

BTW, it's coming along very nicely! Looking good!

Reaction score
I see a bench? Looks nice and blends in well. Pond is coming along nicely. What skimmer and biofalls did you go with?

Reaction score
KennethO said:
I see a bench? Looks nice and blends in well. Pond is coming along nicely. What skimmer and biofalls did you go with?

yeah, that bench is one of two around a firepit/flagstone patio. i may extend the flagstone right to the pond's edge to make it more approachable.

i went with the large savio skimmer and an easypro aquafalls filter.

the one thing i'm worried about is flow is currently set up like this:

BD > skimmer > external pump with basket > doc filter > waterfall filter.

i'm pretty sure that should be plenty of filtration, but with the pump being before the doc filter i'm concerned that i'll still have fish poop getting blended up by the pump.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
damian I looks like the same skimmer I have and appears that you are about at your ideal water level for the skimmer. So are you going to drain the pond some to put in your over flow and where at on your pond are you going to put it?

Reaction score
well the overflow drain is going to go above the ideal water level, so i won't be draining the pond to install it (unless the rain today raised the level too much). i'm going to put it in the upper right corner of the pond, which you can't see because it's blocked by the bench in the photo.

i have a berm to the left of the pond, and the landscape gradually slopes down to the left, so that location for the drain makes the most sense.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is what the inside of my skimmer looks like if you look I had to put a sponge where the handle is for the basket to keep frogs from going through the hole and getting sucked up into the pump. I did this to also keep debris and fish from getting through when the water level got higher. Before I did this and made my over flow a bit larger during heavy rains it was not uncommon for the water level to rise above this and for me to find a fish or frog in the pump basket.

Attachments

• P1020220.jpg
    P1020220.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 265

Ask a Question