Was this a bad idea?!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I guess the most frustrating part of all this is that we don't have a local pond store anywhere near here. I'm going to order this online but before I do, is there anything else you recommend I have on hand for emergencies? I'd hate to have something happen and have to wait a week to get it through the mail.

You apparently have a pH test kit. If don't have the means for testing the other parameters then I would recommend you ordering The API Master Test Kit.

https://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI

Later on you can order the Dissolved Oxygen, GH, KH test kits and the Phosphorus test kit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Reaction score
As you said the fish were doing fine in what some would consider deadly conditions. Carp (koi) can live in some pretty bad conditions so I wouldn't be too concerned about putting them in well water. As far as testing the water there isn't much you can do about changing anything so don't worry about it. Throw the tester away and don't look back.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But in a new pond and all the stress of moving the fish I would have an aerator .It is better to be safe than sorry .I hate to tell you this but had to replace my liner 2 times because of dog toenails .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have chihuahuas but these dogs were my neighbors and the second dog was one of those helper dogs for a handicapped boy that was missing for 2 weeks until he fell in my pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
as sisy pointed , get her filter media and dont clean any thing in filter , i think 4 large koi fishes in stock pond are in more danger then they would be in ur pond . if u can add 1 fish at a time wait for few days and keep checking water , see how it goes . do make sure to learn how to transport fishes safely with all the necessities and when u add fish in new pond , let it float for 30 mins on pond then release it , mix some water in the bag .
once pond is old and running , u dont need to do much . her old pond might look ugly but it may have been healthy for fish we never know , algae or unclear water isnt that bad for fish .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
as sisy pointed , get her filter media and dont clean any thing in filter , i think 4 large koi fishes in stock pond are in more danger then they would be in ur pond . if u can add 1 fish at a time wait for few days and keep checking water , see how it goes . do make sure to learn how to transport fishes safely with all the necessities and when u add fish in new pond , let it float for 30 mins on pond then release it , mix some water in the bag .

keep the filter media wet or soaked in the original pond water. you may be able to get food grade left over buckets from your local grocery store ie used for cole slaw or pickles. typically 5 gallons. just give a good good rinse prior to use or simple soap and water and a few good rinses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

Attachments

• IMG_5513.JPG
    IMG_5513.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_5514.JPG
    IMG_5514.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_5512.JPG
    IMG_5512.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 188
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
All beautiful! ...the first one is my favorite!

Thank you for sharing! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, I've never seen butterfly Koi over here, nice fish!

Ask a Question