Water change question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm on a water garden Facebook group (I know..Facebook ) and someone was saying water changes are absolutely necessary for the growth of the fish because a water change will flush out the hormones that inhibit fish growth. Now, I've never heard of this before. I rarely do an actual CHANGE of water cuz I have to keep adding water to replace evaporation. I figured I'd ask here since you all are a lot more knowledgeable (in my opinion)......thoughts?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There's two clear opposite approaches to the pond. One side is stuck on the sterile by tgat I mean clean clean clean everything all the time big expensive filters good amount of maintenance. Then there's the natural direction skim the leaves off the pond. Vacuum the bottom when it builds up and plant plants and more plants. No water changes the addition of fresh water suffices. As far as hormones go do you realy care your fish may not reach 36 inches even If this is true ?

My pond is only 4 years old now so who am I to say. But I can all but guarantee the nexus filter folks will all say waterchanges while the naturalist all say nope not needed. Me I'm from the aquarium side I still have the hint I should do a water change but that too removes bacteria and adds chemicals you may not want to replenish. I'm happy with the way things are .
20210428_091354.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thank you. I feel the same way. I was just made to feel like I'm harming my fish by not changing the water on a routine basis. I mean....it's nature.. And no, idc what size my goldfish are.....my originals from 5yr ago are 8 inches ling....beautiful!
Thank you so much for your reply

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, I was told about pheromones years ago by a guy I feel was very knowledgeable on the subject.
He said if you want your fish to grow really big, feed them a lot and do regular water changes (due to the pheromones).

I really don't believe you can harm your fish by not doing water changes. I never do water changes. Nature does it when it rains anyway. I have some koi that are ginormous.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is some research I have heard from environmentalist and sewer treatment workers . That estrogen with how many millions of women are on the pill that it is one drug the standard sewer treatment plants can't touch. That these levels are making there way back into the waters. Is this conspiracy theory who knows but I can see where some drugs aren't effected by different treatments so maybe It's possible.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the concern is that evaporation of water does sometimes leave maybe undesirable things behind that is/can be detrimental to fish. Whereas, changing the water out removes these things and other stuff, and don't let them build up to high levels. This would be most noticeable, I think, in smaller gallonage aquariums, and probably negligible in much larger ponds.

As for me, I have a very small outdoor pond (probably aquarium sized for indoors). I have decided that just adding water, instead of changing the water, is better for my fish, and much more convenient and easy for me.

I only have a few rosy red minnows, who are known for being very hardy; and, therefore, I don't worry about an overload of fish waste, etc. In fact, I haven't even looked at my pond filter since I added the fish a year and a half ago. I probably should, and maybe will, when the weather warms up a little more (we actually have gotten a little dusting of snow the last two days). I think the pond is pretty well balanced and I don't have to do much to it. I haven't been able to grow any plants in or around it, yet, which I keep hoping to do.

Man, what a ramble just to say that I am one of those who don't change the water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Man, what a ramble just to say that I am one of those who don't change the water.
My ponds only get a water change when we get a lot of rain. The gutter water runs into the ponds. Been 10 years and still doing great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I recently read an article that stated that fish kept in smaller than ideal containers will produce a substance, can't remember what exactly, that will keep them from growing outwardly. The problem is that their organs will continue to grow, even though their bodies don't. Not a healthy situation and they don't tend to have a very long life. If put in a larger body of water, they might recover, but it depends on how long they have been stunted.

Maybe that is what that person is talking about? I don't remember any reference to water changes causing that issue, not in that article.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Grrrr! Those FB groups drive me crazy! In fact, I was just looking at a water garden post on there and I just rolled my eyes (maybe it’s the same group you are on). Like many things in life, there is [usually] no right or wrong way, just different ways.

Ask a Question