Water Changes

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Considering that most of the hard scientific research that is being done relates to a lesser or greater degree to the Waste Water industry, this, for me, is an easy decision. However, much of the work that is being done now is focused on impact to Climate Change. And, of course, a considerable amount is focused on general water quality and environmental impacts.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
To add another facet to the confusion, the practice of raising decorative fish in any form of pond is considered to be a form of Wastewater Treatment.

No... wait... that oddly sounds familiar like something I just previously read... I am not remembering something here correct... ;) :D

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
To add another facet to the confusion, the practice of raising decorative fish in any form of pond is considered to be a form of Wastewater Treatment.

No... wait... that oddly sounds familiar like something I just previously read... I am not remembering something here correct... ;) :D

Now I am detecting a little facetiousness.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
More like... what is "not being said" is what is interesting... All in good fun. :)

@Meyer Jordan As I said... more or less... you're proving my point... except seems like I am one the having fun...

Now I am detecting a little facetiousness.

Actually, I was being quite serious about that statement, to a lesser or greater degree, as it seems to be written in the same vein as what you previously wrote. ;)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan As I said... more or less... you're proving my point... except seems like I am one the having fun...

Actually, I was being quite serious about that statement, to a lesser or greater degree, as it seems to be written in the same vein as what you previously wrote. ;)

To be quite honest, other than a basically unimportant discussion on semantics, I really don't know how I could prove your point when I really don't know what your point is other than get the feeling that you seem to believe that Aquaculture is the prime source of all knowledge concerning aquatic habitats of any form and that any other source of knowledge is somehow second-rate and questionable even when it is backed by scientific research.
Enlighten me. Exactly what is your point?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
...you seem to believe that Aquaculture is the prime source of all knowledge concerning aquatic habitats of any form and that any other source of knowledge is somehow second-rate and questionable even when it is backed by scientific research.

...which is all supposition on your behalf of what you want to portray as what I "seem to believe"...

Enlighten me. Exactly what is your point?

Once the water garden hobby or koi hobby connoisseurs actually have their own innovations, then they earn the privilege to define the terms as they wish to be used as the standard bearer. Until then, they should not pervert what is already accepted by industry practitioners within aquaculture, whom are much closer in relations (more or less) to these aquatic hobbies than the wastewater treatment industry.

The aquaponic hobby does the exact same, that is creating their own definitions, perverting the industry terms, from both the olericulture, organic hydroponic, and aquaculture industries.

@Meyer Jordan or anyone really...

To portray my point... which statement below seems to add more confusion to the situation...

"...the practice of raising decorative fish in any form of pond is considered to be a form of Aquaculture."

OR

"...the practice of raising decorative fish in any form of pond is considered to be a form of Wastewater Treatment."

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
...even when it is backed by scientific research.

Nor does any of your research, even from wastewater treatment, state that Trickle Towers were "designed to develop areas of low or no Oxygen to foster the growth of anaerobic heterotrophic bacteria that have the ability to convert Nitrate directly into Nitrogen gas".

Since my aquaculture reference was not good enough for ya...

Here it is from the wastewater treatment industry... where both Trickle Tower and Trickle Filter are used interchangeably...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickling_filter

"Aerobic conditions are maintained by splashing, diffusion, and either by forced air flowing through the bed or natural convection of air if the filter medium is porous."

Systems can be configured for single-pass use where the treated water is applied to the trickling filter once before being disposed of, or for multi-pass use where a portion of the treated water is cycled back to the septic tank and re-treated via a closed loop. Multi-pass systems result in higher treatment quality and assist in removing Total Nitrogen (TN) levels by promoting nitrification in the aerobic media bed and denitrification in the anaerobic septic tank.

Such industrial wastewater trickling filters consist of two types:
  • Large tanks or concrete enclosures filled with plastic packing or other media.[1]
  • Vertical towers filled with plastic packing or other media.[2][3]

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
To be quite honest, other than a basically unimportant discussion on semantics, I really don't know how I could prove your point when I really don't know what your point is other than get the feeling that you seem to believe that Aquaculture is the prime source of all knowledge concerning aquatic habitats of any form and that any other source of knowledge is somehow second-rate and questionable even when it is backed by scientific research.

The only "scientific research" you have to support your semantics is Manky Sanke and other koi hobby enthusiasts, which is as I pointed out to be a corruption of terms to suit the hobby, as is done by many hobbies.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I really do not understand this push back... unless this push back is an attempt to suggest there actually is something truly unique about these hobbies that has never been done before.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
lol

There's no such thing as a simple water change.

Flow through systems is a simple water change... such as what I do and some nishikigoi breeders in Japan do (to avoid dumping truck loads of crushed calcium carbonate products)...

Simple flow through water change systems basically emulate a lake that is fed by springs and the lake dumping out the excess water into small creeks.

Ask a Question