Water Changes

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
..which is all supposition on your behalf of what you want to portray as what I "seem to believe"...
It is not supposition when it is stated in plain English as evidenced below.

Once the water garden hobby or koi hobby connoisseurs actually have their own innovations, then they earn the privilege to define the terms as they wish to be used as the standard bearer. Until then, they should not pervert what is already accepted by industry practitioners within aquaculture, whom are much closer in relations (more or less) to these aquatic hobbies than the wastewater treatment industry.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It is not supposition when it is stated in plain English as evidenced below.

Um, that statement did not state that I believe "Aquaculture is the prime source of all knowledge concerning aquatic habitats of any form".

Unless you read a different kind of English than I do...

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan or anyone really...

To portray my point... which statement below seems to add more confusion to the situation...

"...the practice of raising decorative fish in any form of pond is considered to be a form of Aquaculture."

OR

"...the practice of raising decorative fish in any form of pond is considered to be a form of Wastewater Treatment."

Check your sources and you will find that raising decorative fish is indeed considered a form of aquaculture. Your paraphrase using Wastewater Treatment is obviously facetious.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Um, that statement did not state that I believe "Aquaculture is the prime source of all knowledge concerning aquatic habitats of any form".

Unless you read a different kind of English than I do...

Let's see what the other forum members think. Unless you think that they may 'pervert' what you stated.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Check your sources and you will find that raising decorative fish is indeed considered a form of aquaculture.

I think we just had a breakthrough... Exactly my point!!

Your paraphrase using Wastewater Treatment is obviously facetious.

I will leave the readers to decide that for their own... Thank you! Hyperlink was provided and all and they can exactly tell where I garnered those quotes...

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Then...

To add another facet to the confusion, the practice of raising decorative fish in any form of pond is considered to be a form of Aquaculture.

And now...

Check your sources and you will find that raising decorative fish is indeed considered a form of aquaculture.

Thank you. We finally agree on something!! Jeez... Thank you @Meyer Jordan.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I really do not understand this push back... unless this push back is an attempt to suggest there actually is something truly unique about these hobbies that has never been done before.

Aquaculture in certainly not in the vanguard of developing unique methods. Everything that is done is based on what has been done before in some other related industry or field.

The push back is motivated by the fact that all of this has absolutely nothing to do with the original thread or my comment concerning anaerobic denitrification as a method of reducing Nitrate levels in a dedicated Koi pond. It doesn't matter what the device for accomplishing this is called, only that it works.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Aquaculture in certainly not in the vanguard of developing unique methods. Everything that is done is based on what has been done before in some other related industry or field.

I absolutely agree and none of what I wrote has disputed this.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
..my comment concerning anaerobic denitrification as a method of reducing Nitrate levels in a dedicated Koi pond. It doesn't matter what the device for accomplishing this is called, only that it works.

At least you are starting to walk it back now... Now... "It does not matter what the device for accomplishing this is called" whereas you were originally quite adamant, mentioned several times, in stating that (post#203) Trickle Towers "key feature is the colonization of anaerobic bacteria that convert Nitrate into Nitrogen gas which is then off-gassed" and that (post#210) "Anaerobic conditions are desired in a Trickle tower. Oxygenation is not desired."

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Let's see what the other forum members think. Unless you think that they may 'pervert' what you stated.

I am perfectly open to saying I am completely wrong on this. I look forward to be proven wrong!! ... which would not surprise me for you to imply otherwise of me...

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a

Now that we finally come to terms...

The next step is to see what applications already done within aquaculture that can be easily applied to our context here... such as reciprocating subsurface flow constructed wetlands and nutrient reclamation techniques for easier transport...

....Maybe not everyone wants to just grow water celery, grass, lillies, and cattails in their water garden pond...

...Maybe some folk would like to try to go edible crops, such as an actual vegetable garden along with their goldfish...

...so then we look into what applications is done within the integrated multi-trophic aquaculture industry... and then we start involving olericulture and organic hydroponics...

Of course, research into microbiology and wastewater treatment has created the innovations to allow all of this to happen... this goes without saying... and all of this does not mean hobbyists can simply redefine device semantics as they see fit...

Dropping the microphone... I'm done....

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The next step is to see what applications already done within aquaculture that can be easily applied to our context here... such as reciprocating subsurface flow constructed wetlands
SSF wetlands are not an innovation of the aquaculture industry, but of the environmental engineering field. Both aquaculture and the water feature industry have adopted the basic principles and BMPs of these installations to their peculiar requirements.
and all of this does not mean hobbyists can simply redefine device semantics as they see fit...
But aquaculturists can?

Now can we get back to the original subject of this thread?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
SSF wetlands are not an innovation of the aquaculture industry

I never suggested this... what I wrote was, in post#356, "the next step is to see what applications already done within aquaculture that can be easily applied to our context here." This does not imply that SSF wetlands are an innovation of aquaculture.

Both aquaculture and the water feature industry have adopted the basic principles and BMPs of these installations to their peculiar requirements.

Exactly my point...

But aquaculturists can?

Nope, and they do not but you seem to think koi and water gardener hobbyists can due to (in post#319, #203, #210) "the hobbyist usage precedes the aquaculturist usage by several years."....

...and, as I previously pointed out from wikipedia and Ebeling, both wastewater treatment and aquaculture industry STILL share the same definition of Trickle Tower/Filter and use them interchangeably rather than attempting to suggest that (post#314), "trickle tower/filters are two separate devices and that trickle towers were design to be an anaerobic device."

Now can we get back to the original subject of this thread?

Quite fine with me, but, if you desire this route of misconstruing what I write, then I will be compelled to reply.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is without a doubt a lot of overlap in the aquaculture (fish farming), wastewater treatment, and the hobby fish raising fields, although I would venture to guess that the majority of fish farming is still done the way it has been done for hundreds, if not thousands of years, without any type of bio-filters or constant water recycling with pumps, in flooded ponds or in netted enclosures in open waterways, so consequently there is probably much less overlapping technology from that area of aquaculture. However, the techniques involved in "intensive" aquaculture with higher fish stocks in closed systems would certainly have direct overlap with the "decorative" fish keeping hobby and the wastewater treatment industry. In fact, most of the guys I got to know that worked in the remote wastewater treatment industry had their background in the intensive aquaculture field (inland salmon farming), where they were concerned with both fish health and care, and treating and discharging the fish waste water (effluent).

As for getting back on the original subject of the thread ,,,,,,,, that ship sailed a long time ago. :p If you really want to discuss water changes try one of the many similar threads listed below, or better yet, open a new thread. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
i carry out a water change every week of around 15%, 1 reason is with the filters i own while flushing, back washing, purging the bottom drain and purging the vortex {just pond maintenance} it takes out that amount of water, also i dont have any pond plants no shelf's just straight sides, and as with koi when they feel closed in they release a chemical into the water and they stop growing, so by doing water changes im diluting toxins and removing the anti growth chemical when i replace the water i use water filters not just tap water ie chlorine which can harm the koi,s gills but this year im employing the continuous drip in drip out method, i feel that regular water changes are very beneficial for the fish as there are only so many times you can filter bad water and make it good, BUT as meyer said and this is a very important point, and i also realise that not every pond has the correct filters, the right size pumps the plant life and so on and so on, if your pond is well balanced then water changes may not be needed. you do what you believe is right for your pond, my pond is probably completely different to many mine has straight walls down to 6ft in depth no plants mine is a pure koi pond built for one purpose no wild life completely sterile, in many peoples eyes boring but as i said its all to keep the fish in perfect show condition i repeat show condition so my filters are the only thing and uv that keeps my water clean thats why I do water changes.

Ask a Question