Water Changes

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I can't say I ever thought about that. Ozone injection would be a bactericide and possibly a viricide
along with removing organics and pathogens, correct? I've used pp for so many many years, it's become a habit. I usually only do it now in the cooler weather as temp doesn't affect it, and in the late fall, a month before closing. So how does that work? Does the O2 become O3 and what is the by product, Co2? Not up on this. Do you use one or do you have a bog, I don't recall? I assume they're costly for a good unit? They do kill the gamut, though I would imagine from what I've read in the past.
The pp I guess would be a shock in comparison. They are swimming around the bottom throughout the 6-7 hours apparently unscathed. I think if one is inexperienced, not using a gram scale and knowing their exact gallonage, and keeping an eye out, it could be a nightmare. Done correctly, it's second nature. I haven't known anyone with an ozone generator. I know they're used in pools but I use a chlorine generator as I converted to salt.

The ozone topic may be a moot one. I wasn't able to find any pond ozone units for sale in North America., only units in the UK.
Ozone is 3 oxygen atoms and it will give up one atom to oxidize (decompose) organics, basically. That leave only oxygen, O2.
For what I have on my ponds, my outdoor pond has only periphyton, planktonic algae and rough mechanical filtration, while my indoor setups use a constructed wetland filter and/or garden soil substrate with submerged plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The ozone topic may be a moot one. I wasn't able to find any pond ozone units for sale in North America., only units in the UK.
Ozone is 3 oxygen atoms and it will give up one atom to oxidize (decompose) organics, basically. That leave only oxygen, O2.
For what I have on my ponds, my outdoor pond has only periphyton, planktonic algae and rough mechanical filtration, while my indoor setups use a constructed wetland filter and/or garden soil substrate with submerged plants.

I was reading about it. It's seems rather unique. Extremely hard to find info for ponds except for pond builders who will install it and I'd rather do something like that myself. I did see some in the UK. It has to be the perfect specifications as too small is useless and too large can harm the fish. Kind of iffy ....

I also really don't know what is being removed from water changes when all parameters are perfect, water looks fine, and fish are in perfect harmony ??? There must be some reason I'm doing these changes for 2 decades ...lol ...

Now here's something crazy as I was googling ... something to break down for $850 + chlorine filters every so often. Sound like something to worry about ...

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Now here's something crazy as I was googling ... something to break down for $850 + chlorine filters every so often. Sound like something to worry about ...
Someone had previously asked me what I meant by 'bells and whistles' on a pond. Here is one that has its own 'bells and whistles'.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ozone injectors must be plumbed on a separate feed line, similar to a UV. Ozone dis-associates very quickly in water and usually has an effective range of about 12". Not harmful to fish. They are used extensively in RAS aquaculture where water changes are not performed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Ozone injectors must be plumbed on a separate feed line, similar to a UV. Ozone dis-associates very quickly in water and usually has an effective range of about 12". Not harmful to fish. They are used extensively in RAS aquaculture where water changes are not performed.

They should use them in farm raised salmon waters so it would be eatable again! They use oxygen systems so they can overload the farms with fish. Disgusting! I eat a lot of fish, but wild only these days, not farm raised. Problem is for most, it's quite costly. Off to the gym! Enjoy the day!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada

I only get a blank page when I click on that link, but generally speaking I think we can all agree that any sudden changes to water chemistry is not healthy for the fish.
Treating a pond with PP seems like a sudden change in water chemistry and if a person is going to use something to force the decomposition process (oxidizing organics quickly to nitrogen), it would be better to employ a method that is slow and constant - similar in principle to performing a constant drip water change instead of a large singular water change.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I only get a blank page when I click on that link, but generally speaking I think we can all agree that any sudden changes to water chemistry is not healthy for the fish.
Treating a pond with PP seems like a sudden change in water chemistry and if a person is going to use something to force the decomposition process (oxidizing organics quickly to nitrogen), it would be better to employ a method that is slow and constant - similar in principle to performing a constant drip water change instead of a large singular water change.

Meyers link had a load of ozone generators. They scare me a bit. I read if too oversized, they could be
hazardous to our fish. not sure how. I do agree with you to an extent on the pp, though I do it twice a year without ramifications. People do it weekly, every 2 weeks and monthly. Some do 5 days in a row... Now that is scary. The drip makes perfect sense but for me, it's a lot of retro to a system I redid in 2012. Wish I was on the forum prior to that. I'm still considering a drip since I already have a buried overflow I ran with a bulkhead fitting from my skimmer with 1-1/2" pvc. It sits 3 feet under a garden when I rebuilt in 2012. Best thing I did .... I understand pp has a tough rep but you should see these koi today. I'm using 2-1/2 ppm. It's not as caustic as one may think. I think the idea of it and stigma attached frightens many who haven't used it. That's merely my opinion Mitch!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'm a dedicated koi keeper
I change enough water every week to refill my ponds after flushing my filters , and any top off in between

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I'm a dedicated koi keeper
I change enough water every week to refill my ponds after flushing my filters , and any top off in between

That's sounds like quite a lot. Is it necessary or am I misreading what you wrote?

Ask a Question