Water Lettuce and Hyacinth

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought three water lettuce plants about a month ago. My pond sits in full fun. In that month the root system has increased 5 fold. The roots extend down almost to the bottom of my pond (About 18 inches) and are really full. My fish love swimming in and out of them. Unfortunately the outer large leaves are all dying back. They appear to be growing new smaller plants but nowhere near the size of the older ones. Anyone have any experience with them?

Also I bought a large Water Hyacinth plant. It too is growing new baby plants. My question for this one is not only do I get full sun I also have a lot of wind. I find it tipped over many times or pushed up against the side walls. It appears to "stretch" itself out and put some leaves in the water to hold itself upright. Is this normal? Should I somehow anchor it to the side of the pond? For now I laid a stick across a leaf to get it to stay in place. I attached some pictures of the plants as well as some fish :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 479
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 482
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 444
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 380
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My water hyacinth tend to right themselves too. And when left out of the floating planter they tend to end up in the skimmer. But it's funny. I think they actually do better growth-wise when left in the skimmer for a few days. Maybe they like shade better than sun??

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hyacinth love sun but water lettuce does not like as much sun .You can take them out and put them in a tub of miracle grow to boost them .I have even started adding some epsom salts to the tub so I can boost growth so i can give them to other ponders

Attachments

• 100_7075.JPG
    100_7075.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 259
  • 100_7079.JPG
    100_7079.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 286
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
As Sissy stated water hyacinths love the sun. Water lettuce prefer more shade than sun. I am pretty sure they are getting too much. Do you have any way to shade them?

Reaction score
I loosely tie some fishing line around the water lettuce and put a nut on the end for an anchor. This stops the lettuce from floating into the skimmer but still lets it float around the pond.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
hyacinth love sun but water lettuce does not like as much sun .You can take them out and put them in a tub of miracle grow to boost them .I have even started adding some epsom salts to the tub so I can boost growth so i can give them to other ponders
What do pictures of lilys have to do with Hyacinth and water lettuce?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. I really like the "anchor idea". I am going to try that tonight. I think eventually I will have too many lilly pad leaves and they will not have room to move much anyways :)

As far as shade, there is none now although I guess I could create some sort of shade cloth in one section. I guess I bought both plants before I really knew their requirements. I guess I could also let the Hyacinth and lilies take off and slowly remove the lettuce. I just know my fish really liked the large extensive roots the lettuce had.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They are anchored and not planted in the lily pond and they can get miracle grow just thrown in there .This way all I have to do is pull them out and move them to the basement come winter just like my hyacinth

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
They are anchored and not planted in the lily pond and they can get miracle grow just thrown in there .This way all I have to do is pull them out and move them to the basement come winter just like my hyacinth
Cool.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But the big problem is the air stone in there it shoves the lily to one side of the pond and roots come up and I have tried the air stone in every spot in there including the center of the pond .the pond is just 2 feet deep .I take the air stone out and algae starts to form .Tried a smaller air stone and still problems .I can't keep them in the pond the fish destroy the lilies .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
When I can get them, I usually get about two of each. By summers end I have a bazillion of each. They are interesting plants, and grow like crazy here.

Ask a Question