Water Lettuce

Reaction score
I've had a very hard time finding a supplier for water lettuce for my pond. Mainly because every time I try to order they say its illegal to ship to Texas. crazy.....

Finally found a supplier on Amazon. The plants arrived healthy & after a couple of weeks, I already have 5 times more than I ordered. They grew quick!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/5462124538?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

Here is the link I ordered them from if any others in Texas are having a hard time finding any.

Hope this is helpful

Kevin

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm kind of surprised they would sell them to you, but you never know. I'm in Louisiana, and shipment is illegal here, as well. I do have a local supplier [I prefer water hyacinth], but their plants have been pitiful so far this year. I might look into your source -- thanks for posting [I hope we don't get caught up in a national conspiracy over this, LOL!]

Reaction score
LOL... we had a pond store here years back that sadly went out of business. They sold water lettuce out of their shop & said it was a different variety that was legal here. I'm no plant expert, they all look the same to me. Maybe its the same kind. Just think its crazy to make a plant illegal that's only going to be in backyard pond with no contact to any local water sources. Just glad I finally found some. Hope it survives the winter indoors.

Reaction score
Here's a pic of some of them I have in shallow end so the Koi don't eat them up. I received 3 small plants & now have almost 15.

Attachments

• 20150622_152541_resized.jpg
    20150622_152541_resized.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 222

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If Amazon is caught violating the Texas invasive specie law, they could be forced to pay a hefty fine. Invasive specie regulations, both Federal and State, are put in place after much research and for very good reasons. They should be respected and followed.

Reaction score
hhhmmmmm.... Wondering if I should buy more in case amazon takes it down. Can they survive indoors during the winter?

Reaction score
I assume the freezing temperatures here in Dallas would kill them during Dec & Jan.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I've done the following with other water plants.

Put your plants in dechlorinated water in open top ice chests or other large plastic containers. Keep on a covered deck or porch except during cold weather. During such cold move to an area that remains warm. It is important that the plants are exposed to natural light. Add dechlorinated water as necessary. Remove excess plants as necessary.

Good luck,
Lou

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If Amazon is caught violating the Texas invasive specie law, they could be forced to pay a hefty fine. Invasive specie regulations, both Federal and State, are put in place after much research and for very good reasons. They should be respected and followed.
Hmmmm.....Let's see I should follow the well thought out laws of a City that made Foie Gras illegal. There are a dozen people murdered here every week, but they are worried about some ducks in France! By the way... the sale of water lettuce, water hyacinths, and anacharis are banned in Chicago just in case any of the these can live through our subzero weather. It's easier to buy a gun here than a pond plant. Now that's thinking!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/foie-gras-banned-in-chicago/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
the sale of water lettuce, water hyacinths, and anacharis are banned in Chicago

They are? Are you talking the city proper? Because we see/buy all of those in suburban garden centers all the time.

EDIT: wow! Just found this: https://www.pondmegastore.com/shop/pages.php?pageid=37

I had no idea! Chicago. The city that never stops regulating ridiculous things. You would think the suburban garden centers would have signs warning you not to take those plants across the invisible borders!

Last edited:

Ask a Question