water lillies - flowers?

Reaction score
hello,i live near philly and purchased a few hardy water lillies in the beginning of april, and i wanted to know when will they start sprouting flowers? i have a decent amount of pads that came up already

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine started doing some good blooms in the last few weeks. I have had them shallow for more sun and warmer water, going to sink them deeper tomorrow

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I got some good size water lilies free off of craigslist. They have huge pads and big blooms. Should I cut them all off and have them shoot up new pads and blooms or just leave them? The stem on these lilies are at least the size of a baseball. I already have them potted and fertalized them.

Reaction score
I've had blooms for almost 3 weeks. I don't fertilize mine. The fish take care of that. May be a water temp or just really young plant.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have only pads so far but expect blooms will arrive shortly and I did add the Jobes tomato spikes.

Wow Ryan, stems as big as baseballs? We need pictures of that monster! You can cut the old raggedy ones off but leave the nice ones and as they get old just keep cutting them off.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
The stem where all the shoots come off of and the blooms. This lady I got them from had a badly overgrown pond. I had to get in the pond to get them and it stunk so bad. The whole pond bottom was a giant root mass that was at least 9" thick.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh ok you are talking about the tuber as we call it. Yes they do get quite big if left on their own. You can divide that tuber up into smaller sections w/ a saw or a sharp knife when they outgrow their pots. Where ever there is a sprout coming off of it you can cut next to that and make sure every section you cut has a sprout coming off of it and you will have a new waterlily plant. You must leave some pads, sprouts on the piece of tuber as this is how they get nourishment............other wise they die. When you transplant you can cut some of the mass of dangling roots off. But you already transplanted so that's ok. Make sure you left the growing tip a little ways out of the soil and butted the other end up against the pot to allow the tuber to grow forward.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Soil, rocks, on the bottom, kitty clay your choice. Mine are in kitty litter. Neat find, post some pictures of your lilies, what colors?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine are in the kitty litter from wal-mart called Special Kitty, only like $3. a 25lb bag..........100% clay on the label. I added a Jobes Tomato spike to each one of mine. Sometimes I put 14-14-14 Osmocote on the bottom of the tub when first planted also. I've planted in gravel, rocks, soil, compost mixed w/ soil.......you can use a rock tied to the tuber and just let them sink to the bottom of the pond too.

Ask a Question