Water lily's bought at lowes.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I guess I'll have to keep an eye on them then since we get blasted. 100+ temp with crazy high humidity... Ahh gotta love the South. I will keep an eye on it and move it if it starts looking sad. Thanks milhousebarks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Seems I'm always a couple of weeks late on a subject, but for what it's worth, if you have a Tractor Supply Company store near you they sell unscented, non-clumping cat litter in 25 lb. bags for $2.99 a bag up here. I don't know if the price is the same everywhere, but it shouldn't fluctuate much.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is where I get mine from, sometimes they have 50lb bags of it too. Around the same price, last time I was at walmart it was 3 something for 25 lbs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just bought a water lily from lowes too. I got all the materials to pot it and put it in my pond, however it is still very small. I see no leaves, just a horizontal ribosome with what looks like some roots coming from the one end. Could someone tell me if I should just float it in some water until I see some more growth, or how I should plant this little guy (with what part not in the soil) because it is hard to identify the crown. I think I'm going to start it off in a 20 gallon pot on my deck and them move it into the pond.
FullSizeRender 4.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
You could plant it in some clay kitty litter, with the shoot end just above the litter. Place the back end of the rhizome against the wall of the pot. I'd add a little fertilizer to what ever material you plant it in.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
or how I should plant this little guy (with what part not in the soil) because it is hard to identify the crown
The crown is where the leaves/stem is coming out of. Make sure you do not bury that. Put it in shallow water lots of sun to get it going faster.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I bought one of those from lowes like 3 years ago. It was early spring and a tad still cold out so I threw it a fish tank. No potting and nothing special. A few days later it started sprouting. Threw it in the pond as is. Again no potting. It does wonderful and comes back every year. New blooms every other week. I've been super pleased. Here is a pic from the other day

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 286
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Heh. I bought one of those Lowes "drop and grow" lilies a few weeks ago, then read this thread and decided to pull it up and put it in a pot since it wasn't doing anything. Phhht. There was nothing at all in the bag but that dried grass stuff. And I'd thrown away the receipt! :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Heh. I bought one of those Lowes "drop and grow" lilies a few weeks ago, then read this thread and decided to pull it up and put it in a pot since it wasn't doing anything. Phhht. There was nothing at all in the bag but that dried grass stuff. And I'd thrown away the receipt! :rolleyes:

If you used your "my Lowes" card, they can look the purchase up for you and give you a refund.

I bought a couple of these a few years ago and didn't have the luck many of you are having.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If you used your "my Lowes" card, they can look the purchase up for you and give you a refund.

I bought a couple of these a few years ago and didn't have the luck many of you are having.

Sadly I paid cash. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You should still be able to return it for store credit. I'd try.

Eh too late. I used the dried grass stuff as mulch for a pot of petunias on my back deck. :) Ten dollar mulch LOL.
I don't often go to big box home stores anyhow. I did buy a potted lily from the friendly little local pond place with the cute dog in the store and it's going nuts putting up leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
The top part that is green are the leaves. I'd also plant it in kitty litter (pure clay, no scented stuff, and not the "scoopable" type either LOL) and put it under water maybe 6-10", watch to see what happens. For some reason some of my lilies I have had and divided for the last 4 years have died. Not sure what is going on, so maybe don't listen to me. :) On a good note, some of my other lilies are doing great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Since the Lowe's lilies were marked as 'guaranteed to grow' (and also because they were soooo much less expensive than already-established plants), I took a chance and bought 2 - the chromatella tuber had a few leaves at the base when I potted it, and it grew quickly, the sioux didn't have leaves to start and took much longer to emerge, but they are both doing well now, lots of pads - hoping for flowers this season but might have to wait til next year...

Ask a Question