sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I still have the quilt batting in mine to get rid of the cloudiness and then of all things my neighbor decided to bush hog his property and of all things the strong winds are blowing my way and with that comes dist and just about everything else .I had to get the big tarp out even with the wind and try to cover the pond and thought I was going to become a kite .The quilt batting really helps pick up alot of fine stuff and the all natural stuff actually holds up really well to wring it out and use it again so maybe you can try that .It seems to pick up some of the green stuff .It is fine enough to really pick up a lot and it may help you also rather than all those chemicals .

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Clean the pond of any debries, use the matted batting as suggessted to filter the fines out, do water changes after cleaning your filter. You problem is due to neglect. You can't fix that with stuff out of a bottle.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never understood the hype behind all the chemicals cost money and never work .But so many quick fixes out there it amazes me .I use liquid barley but when I can get barley I make my own and out here in farm country it would seem simple to get but not always

Reaction score
Hmmm. After reading he OPs other post and now this one about the cloudy water, water smell, number of fish and dying fish, I definitely see a real water condition issue. I know I am stuck on thinking in the other thread that it could be related to spawning, if there is spawning going on, the water can be fouled very quickly.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I didn't see fish in the picture and when mine spawn, I have never smelled anything because my ponds are very clean to start with. The last spawn was an 8 hour orgy and the water never got cloudy. There was a lot of debries where they tore up everything.
But I degress, this has nothing to do with green water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
there is a plant there and they could have rooted dirt out of it and made it mucky but not green .I know I had to take my plants out as my koi dug a lot of dirt out of the plant and the water smelled funny and when I took the plant out I realized it was coming from it and some of the rotten roots that where on the bottom and the dirt smelled pretty bad .Had to completely wash the roots and replant it

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze I'm 100% shocked went out tonight and my water is crystal clear

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's a good thing sissy, but just don't turn your back on it too long. I'm still working on mine w/ the filter floss. I should get some barley.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh so am I so was really surprised at how clean it really got because of the weird weather here and all the rain .Good thing as I do not have to do a water change

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Trouble for me is that I could only get a small basket of the stuff to fit under the falls so I will just have to keep replacing it w/ clean stuff as it gets dirty :surfing:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have been cleaning mine but when I went to walmart decided to get it and cannot believe how great it really works amazing stuff and cheap too worth the extra bucks when you think of it .I just take it out and wring it out with my hands then hose it off and put it back .But getting time for new

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have it in my stream right now, the water flows through it on the way to the pond. Trickle flow from an old pump we have. I was working on the pond and stirred up a bunch of fine dirt, working on getting that out of the water lol

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
sissy said:
I have been cleaning mine but when I went to walmart decided to get it and cannot believe how great it really works amazing stuff and cheap too worth the extra bucks when you think of it .I just take it out and wring it out with my hands then hose it off and put it back .But getting time for new

Sissy
Is it batting you are getting at Walmart? I have been looking for an inexpensive source. My water is clear but I do get particles in solution.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I got my batting at Wal-mart at after Christmas sale for really cheap but I'm sure they have it all year in the fabric dept or just go to the second hand stores and buy some cheap pillows for 50cents each.

Ask a Question