Watercress

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks mo! I bought a bulb at the depot for ten bucks and it just sits there green and not growing. a bulb for 5 bucks from petsmart is doing much better. I guess I better check out the big W but that sort of scares me based on the last time I saw there tanks in the store but I guess that could vary from store to store. Thanks for the tip on craigslist I will check it out. :nono::regular_waving_emot:regular_waving_emot:regular_waving_emot:regular_waving_emot:moped:

Reaction score
FYI, I bought 4 more bunches of watercress and threw them straight into the pond and they are growing. I think the still water of sitting in a jar first does not work as well.

Reaction score
Malak said:
FYI, I bought 4 more bunches of watercress and threw them straight into the pond and they are growing. I think the still water of sitting in a jar first does not work as well.

Thanks for letting me know. I was wondering about that. The ones I planted in clay are doing great, but they dont look like floaters at all, they large white roots. I tossed some in my filter barrel just now, to see if it goes, but it would surprise me.. Can you post a pic of yours? Wondering if its a different variant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Malak and Vertigo, watercrsss like a little water movement, so it will do great bear root in filter. It get nice white roots and is vine like. Some stms grow straight and some curve. I tokk some longer tops off mine today and tossed them in. I will try and take some pics on another day it's cold and damp here in north Jersey. We need some sunshine here!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
bought 2 bunches at Meijers, and tucked 'em in between some border rocks, still bundled...did i do it right, or should i unbundle them?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
mouseams said:
Malak and Vertigo, watercrsss like a little water movement, so it will do great bear root in filter. It get nice white roots and is vine like. Some stms grow straight and some curve. I tokk some longer tops off mine today and tossed them in. I will try and take some pics on another day it's cold and damp here in north Jersey. We need some sunshine here!

I'll trade with you! You give us some of that damp and I'll give you some of this heat!!!!!! LOL 102 here yesterday and suppose to be 100+ today, haven't seen a drop of rain in over a month! Oh I wish it was cool and damp, I could get so much more done.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i plan on unbundling them once they start some good root growth.... didnt know if i should cut them or what,if so, where?

Reaction score
Ive put watercress in several spots in my pond and filter. One thing is very clear... they need waterflow. Lots of it. The more the better. They actually thrive best in my iris bog right at the outlet of my ~1500 GPH pump where there is enough waterflow that most things are swept away. When I put them there I was sure they wouldnt survive there, its like putting a pressure washer on a plant, but watercress seems to love it.

Reaction score
I did the watercress a few years back. This is what one strand struck between a rock turned into. And yes , lots of water flow is best.
Watercress.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice growth! I still have not gotten my butt into the store to buy some.

Reaction score
Wow, sure looks like one vegetable you wont have to buy at the supermarket lol. They look fantastic. I also heard they grow all year, even in winter. Do you ever "harvest" them ?

Ask a Question