Waterfall flow issues

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this forum, but not to ponding. And yet I've got a problem that's vexed me for years: my pond is 1000 gallons with a bottom drain and a pump that's gravity fed, which in turn feeds a bog filter and a stream that flows back into the pond. When the pump is first fired up, the flow of the stream and the waterfall is perfect, but over time (sometimes days, sometimes a week or two), the flow turns into a trickle. The solution, for me at least, is just as mysterious as the problem itself: when I turn the pump off then on again, while only waiting a minute or two, the perfect flow returns and the cycle begins anew. I suspect that air is somehow getting into the line, which may be causing the problem. Does anybody here have experience with air release valves? From what I understand I might be able to place one at the high point of my system so that air is released automatically.
Thanks in advance for any help you might lend me.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome-smilies.gif
@jboole
Sorry,can't help w/your issue.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Any chance of a blockage moving around on the intake side? Usually air will purge itself when everything is running smooth unless you have some unusual configuration or a cracked line. Are you getting bubbles when you turn it off?

Ask a Question