Waterfall reservoir

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I’m just starting my pond less waterfall project and trying to work out the volume of water reservoir I’m going to need. The total drop is around 7m over 3 drops. What calculations/measurements do I need to work out the tank size. Photos attached

Attachments

• IMG_5041.jpeg
    IMG_5041.jpeg
    451.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5040.jpeg
    IMG_5040.jpeg
    421.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5039.jpeg
    IMG_5039.jpeg
    419.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5038.jpeg
    IMG_5038.jpeg
    412.6 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you. And yes it will have under lining and pond liner. It was a rockery sort of arrangement so just moving bits about to get a feel of the rout at the moment before we start final digging and lining.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Helloparrot_.gif
and welcome @Lucinder
Looks like a fun project. Never made one of these but others here have so just be patient for help w/your question :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are two types of waterfalls. One the type that humans build with say 3 feet wide all the way down the falls where the falls and stream are built on top of the soil. With even drops and angled slopes on the way down where threes always a flat thin rock at the top of each falls that lets the water fall off and down to the level below where it hits rocks and splashes and slides down an angled slope.

This will require all water on the falls to be considered water in motion. this will all need to be collected by a large revivor at the bottom. So for argument sake if you have 1000 galloons on the falls you'll need three times that in your containment area to replace evaporated water. falls truly are the worst for evaporation loss. 1. because of splashing . 2. due to creating mist as the water falls . 3 from splashing as it hits the bottom of the falls . And simple splashing and getting outside of containment.

Then there is WHAT MOTHER NATURE CREATES, she cuts into the soil . encounters rocks where the water will rise until enough water builds up behind this rock until it fills so much that it overflows. these pools do more than just give bubbles a place to float across the water. it also stores water on the falls and not require a huge revivor to be able to absorb the water in motion and still have water left for water replenishment from rains etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your reply @GBBUDD

Being very new to all this if anyone can help with a basic ABC of how to calculate the water volume fir the reservoir it would be very helpful.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well the easy way is length x width x depth... and then make it bigger. I'd use the max numbers - the widest width, the deepest depth, etc - to start with and then oversize it. Your reservoir can literally never be too big. (Not considering costs of course.)

Ask a Question