Waterfall rocking sadness

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Thank you. Just to show you how much a waterfall can change.. here is a picture when it was first built and how it is this year. I don't use foam because I change the rocks every year. :)
View attachment 100864
both look good to me , i think its that we get bored then we want change or new ideas to implement and some technical improvements
Oh boy! We've watched this. A running joke has been, "We hope we don't end up on Ponds Gone Wrong!"
u mean before or after one lol funny , u both are nice , dont take it too serious its not like a house that cant b remake , if ur husband likes the current design then stay with it for some time then say i wana improve this waterfall then redo it after that so both wil b happy :D
before u redo , observe the whole pond for some time and see what are flaws and plan on paper how u want waterfall , watch others pics then decide one style and see how u can acheive that what steps to take , in that waiting period u may find more flaws or things u can improve bcz uil see how pond is working for some time .
tbh i dono how the pro do waterfall dry then they run water lateron, i have always worked after its full of water and running , i needed to check each rock and groves how the water is behaving , i cant get idea before that some rocks may look prety but they dont produce good results of water fall . i wonder how others do here . even if u make best waterfall it may b only cosmetic once u run water then u can know how water is moving on it .
i personalty like the pool top waterfall , i made it my self but plants took over and can hardly se the pool above lol

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
i did warned u in my last post that this design will not work , water will run from sides and below & stone placement is critical, i think u shud call herzausstahl to fix it lol it was his idea .

me and many of us pointed this too that fill pond then run water and then adjust , there shud b some distance between spillway and where the water falls to see good effect , this cascade design is admired by few too but this is contrary to waterfall , its made to break the current and make mild sound .

.... imagine if u remove all the stone but the last one or leave the 1st one only and let it fall in pond , water will have greater velocity , sound anf visual effect some ppl create small pool before it falls down that gives good effect and pressure volume too .

also keep in mind ur pump pressure will decrease as u pump 3 ft heigh so to cover , the width of the water fall wil need to b narrower , may b half size if u dont see considerable flow , other thing is the flag stone that is giving u the waterfall needs to b sharp and thin , if its rounded and thick , it will not throw water infront . (ur 1st flagstone is best for it)

i would say ur pond as whole is looking very beautiful ..to b honest the rock work inside and gravel etc looks very professional , nice neat edging . the thing is we all did mistakes and had undesirable results thats why we like to share them , i have made this design too then rebuilt it several times until i get what i want and thats the fun ie ongoing progress improvement as we observe and work on it , we get to see how water behaves and how rocks effect etc then we get more understanding daybyday . so its never end of the world lol thats the fun dont b frustrated or impatient its just beginning

Yes this will produce a stream sound not a cascade sound but you can get the water to flow over the top.

IMG_6532.JPG

This is 6 yrs ago, the in stream rocks are different but the flagstone are unchanged & water still flows over the top. A point you hit on that could contribute a lot to the amount of flow I'd thr strength of the pump. Is it enough to produce the desired effect taking into account the height & the distance the tubing runs. Mine is 2.5-3' & a 40' run or so. So I used 2" flex pvc & originally a 5100 gph pump, I've switched to a 4200 gph laguna but still getting great results.

IMG_4225.JPG

This is my mother-in-laws small pond I built her & only foamed sides of stream & by waterfall. Still used a 1300 gph laguna for a 12' or so run & 18-24" elevation shift.

IMG_6531.JPG

If you were to foam where the red lines are & put rocks right up to edges of flagstone it would run over the top. The flagstone in mine is easily 2-3" thick & the water still runs where I want it to go so it can be done.

That said. Don't quit till you get it the way you want it. Dried foam is easy to remove, only leaves a bit stuck to rocks. A little trial & error & you'll be able to anticipate how the water will react. Still bottom line is it's your pond & don't stop till your both happy with it. It's harder as your working with two visions of what it should be instead of just one like most of us are.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi! An update: we were able to get the water flowing down the middle by adding small rocks on the side of the cascade. It sounds lovely, if a bit on the quiet side.) I've only planted on one side of it so far and am hoping the creepers will creep!. I'm going to plant thyme, spedwell, and phlox on the other side of the cascade, and I also have a lot of landscaping to do around the pond... but we're getting there! And we have our first resident! The past two nights, we heard a lone frog croaking!

Attachments

• IMG_3517.JPG
    IMG_3517.JPG
    383.9 KB · Views: 229
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Great looking pond! One thing to consider is upgrading the pump down the line to double or triple the current gph (or maybe even more). Increased water flow will add proportionate sound, without changing a single rock or other pond feature. More money, less work. You will come to enjoy the pond more and more as you put the building process in the rearview mirror, and tweaking it will be no big deal as you go. Moving a little this or that is different than full-on construction, so the frustration level is different, too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Great looking pond! One thing to consider is upgrading the pump down the line to double or triple the current gph (or maybe even more). Increased water flow will add proportionate sound, without changing a single rock or other pond feature. More money, less work. You will come to enjoy the pond more and more as you put the building process in the rearview mirror, and tweaking it will be no big deal as you go. Moving a little this or that is different than full-on construction, so the frustration level is different, too.

Thanks! We're thinking the same thing. Also because there's not a lot of movement in the water outside of the base of the stream. We'll probably wait till spring for that... $$$ :)

Ask a Question