sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The kind he is talking about the sell in lowes here it is in something like a paint can and stays tacky and flexible and is used to seal around chimney's and pipe extrusions through the roof .Exhaust pipes and such coming out of the roof to exhaust fumes and give air to your plumbing fixtures like toilets and such .I have used it several times for the bottoms of 4x4 so they don't rot and of course to seal those pipes also .the kind in the caulking tube cures out

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The kind in the paint can is sold by roofing stuff and the kind addy uses is way different

Reaction score
ok the pond construction is under way....now i am building my filter system..what i have is two of these
http://www.hozelock.com/aquatics/filters-and-uvcs/above-ground-filters/ecocel-2200.html

also i am going to have two uv lights each one is 9watts

Then i am going to be feeding each filter separately incase one leaks or breaks

Then i am going to have both flowing into a small ponds which is going to be full of more filter media....alfagrog at-least 15kg of it then it runs into the main pond...

And i have two oxgenators..

Will this be ok for a 1000 gallon pond?

I am planning on having it heavily stocked

Reaction score
Also the small pond will be full of aquatics plants...and then the main pond will have oxygenating plants.....and maybe one or two lillies but i dont really want to have many plants in the main pond

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Heavily stocked with koi or goldies?

It sounds like you are filtering well, I know nothing about those filters, but the plants will really help.

When you get it running remember to let it cycle before adding a lot of fish.

Reaction score
I plan to have around 10 6inch koi for a start.....would that be ok?

I have already got the filters running in a smaller pond which i have.....they have been running for about 4 months and have good bacteria growth on them and also the alfragrog is in a tank with a couple goldies so bacteria can start to form.....

addy1 said:
Heavily stocked with koi or goldies?

It sounds like you are filtering well, I know nothing about those filters, but the plants will really help.

When you get it running remember to let it cycle before adding a lot of fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember if it's koi they destroy plants and make a real mess when doing it .When my koi were little not so many problems but as they got bigger what a mess they would make

Reaction score
Ye thats what ive been thinking thats why i am going to keep all my show pond plants in the upper pond with all the alfrgrog.....which will have no fish just packed out with filter media and then covered up with gravel...
Has anyone got an experience with a 1000-gallon pond..because i want to buy a starlet....which grow to around 2-3foot of less as they are the smaller breed of stugeon

sissy said:
remember if it's koi they destroy plants and make a real mess when doing it .When my koi were little not so many problems but as they got bigger what a mess they would make

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
don;t forget those 10 6inch koi get to be over 2 feet in 6 years mine did

Reaction score
Thats true.....so how many lets say 2 feet koi could i keep in a 1000 gallons it will be over 1 meter deep

sissy said:
don;t forget those 10 6inch koi get to be over 2 feet in 6 years mine did

Reaction score
This is my filter system.....what do you think? One filter will be full of brushs and then foam pads and the other will be full of carbon and fine foam to polish the water

ok the pond construction is under way....now i am building my filter system..what i have is two of these
http://www.hozelock.com/aquatics/fil...ocel-2200.html

also i am going to have two uv lights each one is 9watts

Then i am going to be feeding each filter separately incase one leaks or breaks

Then i am going to have both flowing into a small ponds which is going to be full of more filter media....alfagrog at-least 15kg of it then it runs into the main pond...this should help with the bio filter and what i will do is plant this small upper pond aswel to help the nitrates and nitrites

And i have two oxgenators..

Will this be ok for a 1000 gallon pond?

I am planning on having it heavily stocked

vertigo72 said:
Here is a table that gives you an idea on stocking:
http://www.koiandponds.com/fishstockingtable.htm

Though frankly, your filter capacity is at least as important as the pond size. Koi need space, but they need good water even more.

Reaction score
Your link doesnt work, but I noticed you had put it in higher in the thread, so its two of these:
http://www.hozelock.com/aquatics/filters-and-uvcs/above-ground-filters/ecocel-2200.html

Im not a fan of such filters and typically I would advice to cut the recommended pond size by the manufacturer of the filter by a factor 2 or 4. But two of them combined with the biofilter and plant pond, depending how big that is, could be adequate and it will definitely do for 6 2" koi :). After that, you will find out, just monitor the water. You can always add filtering capacity if you find your koi outgrow your filters, something that seems likely to me. I suspect you will end up having to clean those filters more often than you like, and the backflush alone wont do it.

Reaction score
Ye i have putting in two holes so i can back flush my filter....i hope that i will only have to back flush one filter as i have the dirty water going into their, then once water leaves this is goes into the second filter which is more for water polishing...so am hoping most of the dirty will get trapped in the first filter....

Ask a Question