Waterfall

Reaction score
I am going to be build a pond out of bricks...rectangle shaped
and i want to build a smaller 2ft x 2ft sqaure box shape also out of bricks....which my two filter outlets will lead to...this will be at the side of the pond slight raised...about 2 brickes higher the the pond

My question is how do i create a water tight waterfall here using liner without water leaking out?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The great stuff does work, but it can weap water, not a real water tight seal. The pl black roofing goo, found in home depot will do a water tight seal. I use both, the great stuff to direct the water, the pl to really seal an area.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Usually you have the liner going from the one pond area to the next in one continuous sheet. Overlapping the lower pond liner. The bricks that you build your pond with, the liner will just cover them, you leave it long enough to be higher than you water level. At the top of your pond you lay another layer of bricks on the liner to hold it in place. Make sure you use carpet or something to cover the bricks before you put in the liner.

Is this what ;you are asking?

Reaction score
Also i have asked this before but would like more adivce.....would a singal brick wall about 5 bricks above ground and 2 under....be able to hold the weight of a 1000 gallons of water?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you cementing the bricks together? Can you put in some rebar, do they have holes in them?

Reaction score
ye addy1....so best thing to do is overlap and just hold into place with brick....
Am just curious if liner is left out in sun without being totally covered by water....does it become brittle?

Reaction score
nah i cant as the bricks are left over from an extension to the house...
i am thinking of double bricking at the bottom of the slope and leaving the other 3 side single brick as i dont think they will be holding to much of the weight...as the pond is being built on a slope.

Reaction score
If the liner is pvc, then yes. As far as a single brick holding the weight, no. Addy, I have never used that stuff. I might have to look into that!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ketan07 said:
nah i cant as the bricks are left over from an extension to the house...
i am thinking of double bricking at the bottom of the slope and leaving the other 3 side single brick as i dont think they will be holding to much of the weight...as the pond is being built on a slope.

My pond is on a slope, the down slope side I have a 4 foot high dirt berm about 3 foot wide to hold the water. There is a lot of weight to water, approx 8.35 lbs per gallon. The weight will be everywhere there is water above ground level, even if not on the down slope side.

I do not think a one brick thick wall will work for you.

Reaction score
Ok so now i have re thought and i am building a double brick wall which now will be professionally built.

The next question is once the walls are built how would i go about fixing the liner to the wall?
I was thinking of just holding it down with coping tops....any other advice?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Take the liner over the top of the bricks. Once you have water in the pond the liner in the pond will be stable. Lay the liner, smooth out wrinkles, lay the liner over the bricks, fill the pond. Once it is full let it settle, then put your coping top on the liner, you can use polyurethane glue, pl roofing sealant, etc or just put the coping on top of the liner it should stay in place.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
The pl black roofing goo, found in home depot will do a water tight seal. .

If you mean the liquid rubber roofing stuff that at least here, is generally known as "rubson", then be adviced it remains sticky and doesnt cope well with flowing water. It erodes over time. It is very easy to use though, and watertight. Just wouldnt use it near a waterfall.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The stuff we have hardens and stays, it is not sticky once hardened. Comes in a caulking type tube.

Ask a Question