Waterfall

Reaction score
Can any one tell me how long water needs to be around filter media for the biological bacteria to have an effect?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Depends on temperature of the water, ponds can take 3-6 weeks to cycle.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
ketan07 said:
Can any one tell me how long water needs to be around filter media for the biological bacteria to have an effect?
Good question, and honestly I don't know if there is a real documented answer to this or not. the longer the water is in contact with the bacteria the better, But that doesn't mean you really want a slow flow rate through the filter. Some of the folks that raise koi believe in high turn over rates but they also run huge amounts of media for the water to filter through, Others use what is called a bakki tower, this system uses water dripping over the media so you know that that would not stay in contact long but it is suppose to be very effective means of filtering water. Honestly, I have tried high turnover and slow turn over rates and I have found that different filters are designed for different contact time. The main focus needs to be on making sure that the filter is able to keep up with the load of fish and waste and that is done more by testing the water than by the amount of turnover rate or amount of media contact.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
addy1 said:
Depends on temperature of the water, ponds can take 3-6 weeks to cycle.

Can you explain this to me Addy, what would the temp have to do with the length of time needed for the water to be in contact with the media? The longer the water is in contact with the media the more that could be removed, But the higher the temp, the more water movement would be needed as to keep Oxygen levels up, so actually when your trying to do one your taking from the other. I'm not sure I understand what your trying to say with the temp.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
Can you explain this to me Addy, what would the temp have to do with the length of time needed for the water to be in contact with the media? The longer the water is in contact with the media the more that could be removed, But the higher the temp, the more water movement would be needed as to keep Oxygen levels up, so actually when your trying to do one your taking from the other. I'm not sure I understand what your trying to say with the temp.

Just thinking of winter fishin, what is the temp where he/she is at.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Ok, was wondering. your right they don't have the area where they are from. But I was looking at the post in general from the filtering side for where ever they may be from. Thought I might be missing something.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nah just how our brains work lol, lots of factors to think of with that question. Logically a summer question, but never know.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
very nice article, the mods should sticky the article for others whom want to really understand filters.

Thanks vertigo.............

My huge pea gravel plant bog meets the requirements size of filter vs size of pond, retention time etc. We still have no algae, love it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
addy1 said:
very nice article, the mods should sticky the article for others whom want to really understand filters.

Thanks vertigo.............

My huge pea gravel plant bog meets the requirements size of filter vs size of pond, retention time etc. We still have no algae, love it!

I'm so glad you talked about your plant bog, Addy, because that's why I am building mine with one. Now, if I can just find enough flagstone at a reasonable price for the waterfall, I just might get it up and running this weekend yet!:fish:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is exceeding my expectations country, zero algae bloom in the big pond. Well I should not say zero, we do have algae on the side walls. Our only issue was the fine dirt that came out of the pea gravel, with the size of it we did not get the gravel real clean.

The only place that has had algae is only one little pond, the only pond without trap door snails, or tad poles. The plant growth in that pond is low also, getting some lilies going. It is above the tadpole pond in the stream so I am letting the algae stay some goes down the stream to feed the tad poles, sort of a continuous food flow

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We had so much and it was so dry here last summer and on a well, just was not feasible. Yep wash as best you can

Ask a Question