Ways to Keep Predators Away From Your Koi

Reaction score
I'm in a very urban area in Brooklyn. I doubt it was raccoons - more likely very venturesome cats. I've seen big birds but they wouldn't have room to land in my teeny-tiny pond. Netting has discouraged whatever it was - I just hate to have to leave it there even when no leaves are falling.
Thanks for your ideas, though.
rkd

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have lived in the San Diego area for 45 years. I didn't know we had racoons till my electric fence dispatched the varmit.

I have had cats for almost 60 years. I have yet to see one go into water willingly. It must have been something else. My cats sometimes watch the fish, I have 135 Koi. Before that, I raised goldfish, and the same thing, they would just sit and watch. I have had neighbors cats sneak into the yard and I have watched them to see what they would do. None of these have ever touched the water.

Set up a video on SLP to see what happens when you are not home.

Reaction score
We used to have a cat that we took to the beach. He'd swim out after the ducks almost every day.
I know it sounds unlikely, but I'm quite certain that there aren't raccoons around here - no one's rubbish bins are raided for one thing.
Since I've covered the pond w/ net there've been no problems & I'm reluctant to take it off just so I can discover what happens since I don't want to imperil my 3 fish whom I've grown very fond of: Frosty who has a white-tipped tail, Hawk who has a red tail & Ranger who is 'oranger' than the other two.

shikkaba

Not Just Another Number
Reaction score
Ugh. Herons are the bane of my existence some days.
These are good tips!

Are there more for any ground-based predators?

Reaction score
Hello I have two things I use 4 posts about ten feet out of the ground with clematis growing up them.Then I put garden string on from post to post criss crossed.And put a extra washing line up the wife will like that. You can walk under the string and the pond looks great Then get a infrared audible sound alarm this seems this is doing it for me best of luck
robbo

Reaction score
That sounds like a very elegant solution. Unfortunately, I have acquired my own resident predators now - two Siamese kittens who are avid fishers. I'll definitely have to keep the leaf net on - they even try venturing onto it to get at Hawk & Ranger, my goldfish.

Reaction score
I had a problem recently with a heron,he ate 7 of my 12" koi.i was very unhappy about that.so i bought a fake alligator as they are the natural predator for heron's.since i bought it i have'nt lost anymore fish.(knock on wood).i did see one by the edge of my pond one morning but i scared away.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
This might be a silly question but how does a Pa. Heron know about alligators?

Deadly force and a good net system is the only thing I have found that works.

Reaction score
Here's my problem as an attachment:

Attachments

• shrunk duffer & fish.jpg
    shrunk duffer & fish.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 556

Ask a Question