Ways to Keep Predators Away From Your Koi

Reaction score
I do not think the syrup will deter them and it will bring ants + you'd have to reapply after rain.
Anyway, the fence has worked since I installed it months ago. It gives enough of a zap to keep the buggers out without maiming them, so even if they are your cats, you can use it without feeling too bad if they touch it. They will learn to stay away eventually. :icon_mrgreen:

Reaction score
We have 2 amstaff/husky mix dogs(Ebony and Frankie) that look after things. Any critter that gets past the electified splitrail fence is likely to become dead meat.
wink.gif

Reaction score
you'll have to reapply after rains and such, but use a mix of cinnamon and cloves from your kitchen; snakes can't stand that stuff. also, the Liquid Fence company makes a product that's essentially concentrated cinnamon and clove oil. :banana:

Reaction score
Great article. I guess we are lucky in the UK as we don't have so many preditors, I do however use a sonic cat scarer that seems to keep foxes and cats away and fine wires strung across the pond deters our herons.

we have however now got a problem with the increase in seagulls and these are finding ponds more and more attractive!

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I'm far from giving expert adive, but a few years ago I had the oportunity to meet the proud owner of a formal pond out in the open that is 10'x4'x4' deep. It is cement and in ground next to the walk way entry of this guys house. It is stocked with three beoutiful 2' koi. We have a real problem with the racoons in the Tacoma area, so I asked how this guy keeps the coons out. Answer: coons can't stand on the bottom so they don't try to fish there, he said they just stand there and drewel. I'm sure this whole setup was quite expensive to build. Sure is breath taking.

Wished you could see it..........

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Thats fine if he is out there 24/7. Racoons hunt at night and they are hungry even when it is too cold for Fido to be outside.

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
I was at my aunt's house today> She has a BEAUTIFUL 15ft diameter pond that is aboout 3 feet deep on the sides and 4ft deep in the middle.. She has MAJOR issues with all types of preditors. The pond has a VERY natural look and the sides slop in, so the animals all have VERY easy access even though it is heavily planted.

She has eagles, hawks, turkey buzzards, and raccoons.

ANWAYS.. the absolute BEST way that she has found to keep all preditors away was the following.

stick 4 or 5 black medal pipes in the ground. Make sure to put caps on them so bees dont take nest inside of them.. Then use PIANO WIRE (instead of fishing line) and criss cross it across the pond.. You can't even see it. It doesnt reflect like fishing line and is a LOT stronger..

Then, in two places on the wire, hand something that will dangle and move in the wind..She used those swirly looking long wind spinners, but you can use ANYTHING that will move in even the slightest wind.. If they are shiny, its even better

The movement and shiny-ness scares them away all of the time.. before that she was loosing a fish a day. She told me that she went outside and found her biggest breeder koi ripped to shreds by a hawk. He pulled it out, placed it on a large, 4 ft tall tree stump and had a nice dinner. That is when she started putting this little idea together.

If you plant some vine type plants near the black poles, you will hardly notice them.. and the piano wire really just disappears in the the rest of the background.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I use infra red alarms and Remington to protect mine. At night the IR lights up the area by turning on a spotlight and the rest is a good aim.

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
yea, well our predators are early morning/ late night buggers. Im not about to stay up till 3 or 4 am to protect the pond..

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't wait up for them, the IR alarm wakes me if one is out there. They don't hear the alarm so I get the element of surprise. They only need to wake me once and their fishing days are over.

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
Still.. i wouldnt be happy when some cat accidentally sets off my alarm and wakes me up out of a sound sleep..but to each is own iguess

Reaction score
last winter, I strung orange mason twine across my pond in a zig zag pattern, when the heron showed up, it seemed very confused and would not go near the water. I think the twine, plus the twine's reflection on the water made the bird very confused, after looking at it from a few angles, he turned around and took off.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
aww arnt the kittens cute :icon_smile:
you lot are so lucky racoons eagles want i wouldnt give to see one ... well maybe not right in my garden !!
i heard poles with nylon wire works well ... but i just have a plastic heron ... cause thats about all the that i have ever seen around my pond

Ask a Question