we all live in a yellow submarine, a yellow...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Inspired by the frequent underwater videos of your ponds, I decided to get in on the fun. This is my first time 'underwater' with the cam, but it came out decent. I found out (after the fact!) that I forgot to peel away the clear plastic protector from the submersible housing, so ignore the small spots. I promise to do better next time. Thought it would be good to get the pond before the plants covered too much and limited the lighting, though I'm looking forward to that time as well. Anyway, this is my pond, seen with a submariner's view. Hope you enjoy.

Michael

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you everyone for taking a looksee. It was a much milder winter than lately and I didn't lose a single fish (at least, I haven't found any bodies!).

CJ, RobAmy, and Addy: glad you liked and that my fish look healthy! Easy to see the pregnant moms, esp underwater and most of them didn't even mind being bumped while I learned how fast/slow to move the camera. When I moved the woodduck decoy though, they scattered for a bit. I figure once the water warms, they'll probably swim faster and change the whole underwater perspective, hence wanting to get in an early session.

MM: I used an SJ7000 action cam. It's similar to it's more expensive counterpart a GoPro. I was surprised at the quality of the video as what you see is right out of the camera. I do have some software to add sound/audio/music but the file was already large and I'm still learning what it can do.

Lisa: since I've seen others' videos, it didn't come as large of a surprise to me as to my wife when I showed her! She thought it was pretty cool as well, so I guess it's paid for itself already! And actually, the cam was very affordable at around $60. Does 1080p HD at 30fps and 720p at 60fps. Came with a lot of accessories but I may need to create a longer 'selfie stick' as 6' doesn't go as far as I thought it would, even if it did do the job.

Thanks again!

Michael

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you, miarob; I'd already used the camera twice previously (out of water), watched the ensuing video, and still didn't notice it still attached! Just glad I figured out the spots as I was fearful it might actually be the lens on the cam.

Michael

Reaction score
Wow that's great! How do you get the footage onto here? Is there a sd card?i just had a pond built,i would love to try this

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tracey;

Thanks for the looksee!

I uploaded first to YouTube, then linked to it here. There is a microSD card in the cam, which btw, has just died on me. I'd not recommend the sj7000 anymore as the company isn't standing behind a defective unit; I found out it's a product made by a company that is mimicking models from sjcam (which I have on order after doing a lot more research). It's a really great way to see your fish differently as well as scoping out the bottom of the pond, in case you ever need to.

Ask a Question