We lost power 2 days ago. The fish are under ice. Are they ok?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The dangers are that the fish suck up all the oxygen. that can take very little time to be deleted in an over stocked pond. The cold isn't realy an issue unless your pond is very very shallow. But even then in your area i doubt the ice will get thicker then a couple inches if even that. If you can drill a hole through the ice or even use a sawsall being VERY careful not to penetrate to far beyond the ice and only cutting in a deeper area. placing a air stone in there to help replenish the 02 and it will also let out co2

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Ok so I took the exygen machine off the larger pond and drilled 3 holes in the smaller pond and ran a rubber hose into the water and its babbling nicely. The pond has been frozen for 3 days. I hope they had enough oxygen until now. Its too dark to see anything

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One last thing try not to push the hose too deep into the pond the fish will go to the bottom where temps will be the warmest you don't want to disturb that area

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Off topic is that flooring mesquite? in the photo with the generator

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
The women of the house would not let me back in until I saw at least ONE fish in the smaller pond.

And I did. Big Red was ok and he was at the bottom just chillin (no pun intended)

I'm leaving the air pump hooked up for now. Above freezing tomorrow and much better Saturday. Thank you all for your advice!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
The women of the house would not let me back in until I saw at least ONE fish in the smaller pond.

And I did. Big Red was ok and he was at the bottom just chillin (no pun intended)

I'm leaving the air pump hooked up for now. Above freezing tomorrow and much better Saturday. Thank you all for your advice!!
Keeping the air pump bubbling will help open the surface when it starts thawing. Those are the first spots to open on mine when it starts thawing. I have two breathers in the pond for gas exchange and a couple air stones on the shallow shelf

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I run two much larger then needed air bladders a two unit in the pond and one single bladder in the Bog's snorkel tube. Suppose i should add that i run a small water pump in the cistern for the winter to keep the water from going stagnant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the go power with the batteries, dear hubby is asking.

We have 3 generators, none really hooked up. One is ready with a propane gas tank. Our power here...............knock on wood.................has been real stable. We have loss power twice since we have lived here, both car accidents that took out power poles.

If we lose power we will be warm no matter what, ventless propane heater, all we use all winter. Go though maybe 200-300 bucks worth of propane. I dug in a 500 gallon propane tank years ago. We have a bbq to cook on so we will be fine.
My last propane bill for last month was over $600.00.:woot: We have the temp set for 64 in the house. It’s been pretty cold at times :cautious:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My last propane bill for last month was over $600.00.:woot: We have the temp set for 64 in the house. It’s been pretty cold at times :cautious:
You must be colder than us! We don't heat the basement with it. We are a one level house technically, they don't count basements here in footage. Ours is a ventless heater, right in the living room.

We do have a instant on propane water heater also. Had to replace the first one, had it attached to the basement wall, it froze one winter. New unit is attached to the same wall with wood and insulation between it and the wall.

If the sun is out the heater never turns on, we get some good solar heat.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are so many ways to build that can conserve energy and yet all the BRILLENT MINDS out there today never talk about it yes every now and then they talk about windows and doors but rarely do they get into insulation . Wall thickness and types of insulation. The house i have now is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more then i need and we are looking for a one maybe two bedroom good size open concept combining kitchen living and dinning, with one bath and Three car garage or more unheated. Build it into the side of a hill. Costs go up initially but in the long run it won't take long to recoup the costs when your dumping 600 to 800 a month on heat. in a well insulated home your lucky if you will see 100. Even my rv with the modifications i have made i only dump 240 a month. Banning pipe lines or fossil fuels, we are not there yet . but if we pass more restrictions on energy pigs that in it's self will cut way back on emissions. Homes pollute more then cars, for what they are and what they do .

Ask a Question