Weird problem in my pond! Need advice asap! PLEASE!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TrishB, Jun 9, 2017.

1. TrishB

TrishB

ok ,,,so what about more plants ,..wouldnt they work>?

TrishB, Jun 10, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. TrishB

TrishB

I think everything is sufficient as far as flow and filter ...in fact prob more than needed..

TrishB, Jun 10, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. TrishB

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

'Carpet algae' is a colloquial term to describe the various species of algae that grow on any and all submerged surfaces as opposed to 'string algae' that typically grows in faster moving water. It provides Oxygen, food and filtration to a pond. Any attempts to permanently remove it is doomed to failure as it will quickly grow back. Retarding its growth in any way will directly affect the Dissolved Oxygen level in the pond as well as reduce those biofiltration benefits that it provides meaning possibly additional aeration and expansion of the present supplemental biofiltration.
    The materials used to construct a pond do not really enter into the picture as this algae will grow on any submerged surface, although it does prefer some substrates to others.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    Meyer Jordan, Jun 10, 2017
    DutchMuch likes this.
  4. TrishB

DutchMuch Lord Of The Aquascapes!

DutchMuch, Jun 10, 2017
  5. TrishB

TrishB

So, since we have to empty and clean every spring (because we live in mt ) I have no choice but to remove it all in winter, plus its a gross mess after the snow and ice thaws YUCK! My dilemma is what to reseal with ..Seal-once or pond shield.>?? My hubby is an engineer (so of course he knows more than anyone) ...but I would like to know opinions on both.

TrishB, Jun 10, 2017
  6. TrishB

j.w I Love my Goldies

Carpet algae can grow on all the underwater surfaces in the
    pond and resembles a green carpet (1/2" thick) and is beneficial
    to the fish and water quality. They produce oxygen and are
    food for the fish when other food is not present.We want it to grow and it is mostly hidden for those of us w/black EPDM liners. By you scrubbing and cleaning your pond each year you are losing the balance in your pond. You are starting all over it could eventually be a detriment to your fish. You have been fortunate so far.

j.w, Jun 10, 2017
    DutchMuch, DeepWater and Meyer Jordan like this.
  7. TrishB

TrishB

Well i have no choice here ...so it has to be done unless i build a building over top of the pond ...HA HA ..35 Below zero isn't much fun for them in winter...

TrishB, Jun 10, 2017
  8. TrishB

j.w I Love my Goldies

j.w, Jun 10, 2017
  9. TrishB

j.w I Love my Goldies

Oh and I'm not saying you should leave the fish out there but you could leave the water and bring the fish inside. That way the pond stays biologically fit over the winter and next year the fish go back into the same water and you start up the pump, filter and falls again. This all depends on if your pond is fit to leave full of water w/o cracking.

j.w, Jun 10, 2017
    Meyer Jordan likes this.
  10. TrishB

TrishB

Yes ..ours is designed with an outward taper and we allow it to be mostly full ..we drain it to about 2/3 then the snow fills it up t about 3/4/. It freezes pretty thick here but we engineered it to take that ..and yes leaving the water in keeps if from cracking...But like everyone above says about cleaning out is completely out of the question ..I have 3 dogs running on top of the ice...along with the leaves and any other organics that may have decayed in there over winter....IT HAS TO BE CLEANED ! SO ...My struggle is why this year??? why the murky water..?? in 4 years it has never done this ,,,so for now pond is empty and we are going to reseal ( as suggested above) and see what happens ...just trying to find the right one ...

TrishB, Jun 10, 2017
  11. TrishB

j.w I Love my Goldies

So would it be possible for you to put something over the pond to protect it from debris and running dogs etc.? Something easy like a sheet of plastic or netting, anything easy for you to put on in winter and remove in the Spring? If you see no possibility then yes you will have to just reseal and go about what you have been doing. It is too bad tho that you have to start all over every year wiping out all the good stuff.

j.w, Jun 10, 2017
  12. TrishB

TrishB

Nope....cannot do ...the whole yard is 2 ft deep in snow sometimes ,,kinda hard to determine where the pond even is when its like that ...plus all of the mucky stuff just smells in spring ...cant do it....gotta have it pretty.! One of the drawbacks of Montana I guess...no all year ponds ...and I refuse to put an aerator in there and leave them all winter...not cool! ....They are spoiled fish.

TrishB, Jun 10, 2017
  13. TrishB

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Cleaning a pond in the Spring is an annual ritual for northern latitudes pondkeepers. There are several on this Forum that fit into that category. You will find that although they clean their pond each year they do not scrub or power wash. Typical domestic water pressure is sufficient to remove any trapped sediment and silt that may have accumulated without greatly impacting the existing algae growth.

As advised any Marine coating will work. They are all fish-safe.

Meyer Jordan, Jun 10, 2017
    DutchMuch likes this.
  14. TrishB

sissy sissy

Colleen leaves hers out and she lives in Canada .But she uses pond heaters and her electric rate is low so that helps .

sissy, Jun 10, 2017
  15. TrishB

MitchM

Colleens electricity is zero because her husband pays.
    ;)

MitchM, Jun 10, 2017
  16. TrishB

TrishB

I keep mine indoors in garage in winter...and I let the pond pretty much freeze up ...I think maybe I'm in the wrong league with some of you ..as I'm not as "super pond person" as most of you are,..I built a really cool pond, have had amazing" luck ", apparently for the past 4 years and now shit happened<< I was mainly asking what this new thing may be that has popped up..I'm gonna go with the fact that it may be the sealer deteriorating and needs to be re-done.,,the upper part of pond with streams and such were redone 2 years ago and Im not too worried about those. Was mainly wondering if this murky look was something to worry about ...so to be safe I took em out and drained it ...cleaned it again ( yes with pressure washer) hoping to get rid of whatever the stuff was that caused it ..and reseal it.
    Im assuming that if the growth was a beneficial one that the pond would've cleared up naturally over the past month or so ...but it got worse...so nada! I have no clue! So i ordered the" pond clear" granules a week ago ( basically oxy clean ..yes chemicals!) and they didn't help either bubbled a bit of stuff but water still didn't clear up ...SO ...this is why I'm here ,,,maybe no one has the solution to help ...and I don't plan on leaving a bunch of algae all over the pond sides ...(it doesn't look nice at all) ..It was clean always before so we will try this. I like my fish too much to let them live in a cloudy pond...ew!

TrishB, Jun 10, 2017
  17. TrishB

MitchM

If Meyer Jordan has seen this problem with concrete ponds before, then I would follow his advice.
    I was going to suggest looking at your manganese levels from your well water tests.
    Reseal your concrete first.
    Do not add more chemicals trying to resolve the problem.
    Pressure washing the pond is not helpful.
    You're washing away the protections that Mother Nature provides.

MitchM, Jun 11, 2017
    DutchMuch likes this.
  18. TrishB

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Since you are going to re-seal this pond after 4 years, it is strongly advised that the concrete surface be properly prepared or the sealant will not bond adequately with the concrete. You may need to do an acid wash to completely clean the surface.

Meyer Jordan, Jun 11, 2017
  19. TrishB

TrishB

TrishB, Jun 11, 2017
  20. TrishB

TrishB

We are gonna order some sealer ...I used just a normal concrete sealer the first time and the hubby pressure washes the bejesus out of it every year...I can not tell him anything...but I don't like the muck either ,,,any suggestions on a pond vac that will work besides the muck stick that I have ..that thing's a PITA. I want something that do well...My fish don't seem to be sick, nor have they ever...they are in the temp home today ..colder than heck here so no sealing this weekend ,..have to order the" seal-once stuff"..hoping it works though on previously sealed concrete...

Attached Files:

TrishB, Jun 11, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question