Well, the fish are in the basement

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Haha, I'm sure that's why the one new koi ended up on the floor once and in the bird netting the second time, and another was on the concrete floor, they were trying to use the slide! Who knows how many times they used it after they figured out the correct jump length. LOL
Well, darn, been trying to post pics of the fantails, but GPF or my computer is refusing to do so this morning. Will try again later. :) It's really fun getting aquarium pics, as then you get to see what they look like from the side view, although my one fantail will be better viewed from above. He/she is all white, and then has a red spot on top of the head, on the dorsal fin, and a red spot on each of the 3 sections of the fantail! Very cool! The other fantail I bought is white with lots of red and black speckles, and black stripes on the tail and dorsal fins. The one that is in the pond now I call Spot, so this new one will be Speck. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love the little fat fantails ,I have two and they both have spots .I call them butt wigglers and mine are named Olive Oil and Popeye .They just wiggle those butts like crazy to get going and even then they don't go that fast .Mine like to swim into my hand in the water to get a rubdown .They seem to always be very friendly once they get used to you .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Awww ... cute, Sissy, they like rubdowns, huh?! I wish I could posts the pics, darn it! Been trying off and on for over 30 minutes now. Not sure what the problem is, but my computer is "updating", so maybe when it gets done it will let me do my thing. LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, darn it, go ahead and show me up, Sissy! LOL I just tried again, and it seemed like it fully loaded the pic, then I got "upload skipped (Error IO)" again. Tried all 3 pics, and they are not huge. 206 KG or less. :-( My computer is still running anti-virus so I suspect that is the problem. I will try again later.
Your fantails are the shorter tail variety. Mine have longer fantail, but I'm not sure what the difference in style is called. In my notes, here is what I have written down as far as the fantails:
Wakin – common in Japan, body similar to Hibuna, but with downward tuck at the tail, and double tail. All colors, calico is known as calico Wakin.
Watonai – Long tailed Wakin.
Jikin – similar body style as Hibuna, but with a fully split double tail. From the back, the tail looks like a four leaf clover.

The Hibuna is refers to is a common goldfish body style.
My fantails might be the Jikin variety, as their tails are definitely fully split double tails. They don't have the shorter tails like some fantails, but rather longer flowing ones, and they are not downward tucked in any way.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I get that but click on preview and pics still show up no clue why it says pic upload failed but pics still show up on the preview try it and see if it works

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Aha, it finally worked! Just needed to get done scanning my computer, I guess. :)
Here is the speckled fantail that I got at Wally World 2 months ago.
Spotted fantail Dec 2011.JPG
and the white one with red spots in the tail and on the head. I think this one is going to be really cool to see from above!
Fantail with 3 red spots on tail, and spot on dorsal fin Dec 2011.JPG
And, here is "Spot", who is presently in the pond with the other goldies and koi.
New spotted fantail ... Spot!.JPG
Woohoo, patience is a virtue. Whew, didn't think it was ever going to work, but this time it did! Enjoy the pics. BTW, I still have yet to get good pics of the 3 Shubunkins I got at Wal Mart. They are really pretty, one has a black "saddle". They move too fast to get good pics, but now I will try to get pics of them again. They are also in the aquarium until spring. I love the calicos, but lately had not found any that caught my fancy, most of them being mostly white, with very little color. These 3 I got 2 months ago were really eye catchers. I'll see if I can catch them in a lull mode and get a clear pic. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought my fantails at the koi farm and they somehow got into the filter and the guy sold them each to me for 2 dollars and that was 6 years ago .They grew a little but got fatter than bigger .They are about the size of my fist now and were about 2 inches with there tails when I got them .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The one looks like mine 1st one but I can tell right aways the tails on yours are longer .The second one the body looks longer than mine as mine are just little fat dumplings

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a very large fish tank now that I am going to start some underwater plants in .Got a few plants already but have to get more

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes, the white with red spots is a much sleeker body than the other two. The first and last picture are the same body types, and tails. I know there are some fantails that have the shorter tails and they are more of the downward tuck. Mine don't have that. I've not seen that at any of the local stores, just in pics. I prefer the longer tails, though. :)
OK, I apologize now for the awful quality of these pics. These little guys are VERY hard to get a good pic of, always on the go. Even had camera on sport mode, but with the water and glass in the mix, just really hard. Just posting to show the color patterns on my Shubunkins I got at Wal Mart couple of months ago.
This is my favorite as it looks like it has a black saddle. Very distinct pattern, very different.
Saddle shubie.JPG
This Shubunkin just had lots of red and black splotches.
Shubunkin.JPG
And besides the black and red, this one ha a solid red head, which makes it stand out somewhat in the crowd. :)
Red head shubie.JPG
Haha, these pics look much better without enlarging them. Sorry again!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice looking fish country! love the colors.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
All very pretty fish country and think I may try for some of those little fat pudgy ones in my pond. If you guys that get colder than us here can put them in your ponds all winter I guess maybe I can also.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you should I've had mine long enough and if after last winter they made it ,they can survive anywhere .I had my pond empty out to a foot of water during the coldest night wind ans snow and ice and they made it.I love my little butt wigglers

Ask a Question