Well, the fish are in the basement

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
If I understand things correctly, the main reason for needing deeper is so you don't have to worry about keeping the ice open. What type of fish do you have, how many, and how large is your pond? These I think are all factors as to whether they will do fine outside, of if you would need to bring them inside. I have fantails that stay outside, too. Some of the fancy goldfish, though, are not as hardy.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
No matter the depth, you will want a hole in the ice for gasses to escape from my understanding. My fish have been inside every year so far, so i dont really know.

You will want to bring your fish inside if the depth is only 26 inches. Your weather has to be similar to mine and i believe our frost line it 32 inches deep. Your pond could freeze solid with a cold winter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Last winter gave everyone a little relief from cold and snow .I don't take mine in as there is no need and I sorta like watching the ffish in the winter here .Plus it is mostly no upkeep in the winter like the rest of the year . I did break down and buy a deicer after the 2009/2010 winter .That was one nasty winter .That was the most snow I have seen down here .The last couple of winters before Christmas day was any where from 50 degrees to 70 degree's .I went 4 1/2 feet deep mostly because of hot summers as heat is just as bad as cold .Lack of oxygen on a hot day combined with hot water not a good combo

Ask a Question