What are you pond plans for next year?

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
they start at 59 dollars and go up and the biggest one is 5100 gph and and is 265 dollars 3600gph is 219 dollars 2000gph is 189 dollars 1300gph with uv is 168 dollars

I've got the 5100 gph running my pond, not sure if its the model you saw or the previous model, worked great all summer running the stream, although the best part is I got it on ebay brand new for $100, just got lucky that day! now will just have to see if it survives its winter home on the bottom of my pond, should tho

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
LOL country I hope the rocks you pick up in the field are always rocks and not any cow pie's .
Haha, Sissy, I was not born on a farm, but have lived in the country around cows, horses, goats, chickens, ducks, geese, dogs and cats since my adult life (35 years or so) and know what a cow pie looks like. LOL There are some fields in southern IL that till up rocks every spring, and those farmers would love for people to come and collect them. Sometimes they even pick them up and put them at the side of the road for people to come and take. Those are the ones that I would be more interested in. But, if I can find some in a creek or river bed that is dry later in the summer, that will be far closer for me to go rock hunting. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Farmers do that here too and I have come to the conclusion that after a while cow pies turn into rocks .I lived on a farm also but we only had chickens and the property was used for my dads organic farming and we had a farm stand with a lot of loyal customers that loved my dads fresh fruit and veggies and were not happened when he decided to sell .The new owners just turned the land back to all grass land ,5 acres of it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, I have found a heron statue on Ebay that I want, but I want a pair of them, and the guy only has one so far. He said to check with him this month to see if he gets more in. Going to do that, since he was far cheaper on the same statue than other sellers.
And, with the idea of building a goldfish pond and keeping only koi in the existing pond, I see that my 2 goldies that I know are females are getting VERY plump! I suspect they won't be moved before spawning the first time, so I'll likely be fishing out babies as the year goes on. Fish are swimming around this morning, as temps have been so very mild this past whole week. Koi are not as adventurous but the goldfish are all milling about, nibbling on the algae. Fun to watch ... if it wasn't raining.
VERY rainy here today, water standing in the fields again. But, it's still warm, too. I'm actually ready for some winter here in IL, and some snow! Leave the ice out of the mix, though, thank you very much! I had my turn with it, and would prefer not to have to deal with it again this year. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My local sams club had herons the metal ones about 3 and a half feet high for 119 dollars for the 2 of them .Not sure you have one there that has them in yet and overstock .com usually has the also .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I don't have a Sam's Club close, Sissy. I live in "Rural America". Haha, but I could drive to one, just is probably 90 miles away. The ones I want are $47 each shipping included, so I will check with the guy and see if he got any more in and go from there. There is also a set for $84 I think, but I like the other one better, although the set is one standing with head up and one with head down.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats what these where head up head down but gosh these things were heavy said each one is around 50 lbs .They had cheaper ones more light weight also .But I liked the heavy duty ones because i figure with the wind up here they would not fall over .I saw them at dana's garden pond center and she wanted 299 dollars for them

Reaction score
last spring was the first year (of about 3 years that i've been playing with it) that i had the physical set up about the way i wanted it. now i guess i'm trying to refine the idea.

i mean to get a new pump to run my spitters and fountains. i put my smaller pump that had been doing this under the liner bettween it and the underlayment working like a sump pump i guess. i get some liner floating after heavy rains and it seems to help that some. i also let the outlet from it run the lenth of the yard down to a ditch behind the yard, so i also get some siphoning after i turn the pump off.i did this maybe a month ago so i also need to tuck the hose in some to hide it, once it warms up more for it to be more pliable.

beyond replacing the fountain/splitter pump, maybe a second filter running off the new pump, work on plants and look at adding a few more fish or types of fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep I just buy cheap pumps and run all my spitters off one with T connectors .I guess we all think of something we would love to change and I guess thats why a pond turns into an addiction ,we can't get enough .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Plans on improving electricity safety at my pond going on right now! Hubby is installing gfi boxes w/ underground heavy duty wiring through trench dug from rv hookup box. Looking good and hope it will work! Note to self: make sure to turn on breaker to boxes before thinking all has failed,lol!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No more extension cords? where is your sense of adventure............Finally got rid of the 4 that run my pond last fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, I got rid of extension cords, too. Had 2 quad GFI boxes added on corner of my deck, and am hoping that will be enough when I dig new smaller pond for the goldfish this spring. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got rid of mine right aways because I read that they can also cause problems for the pumps if the extention cord is not rated for the load and can cause problems for your pumps .I added the new energy efficient pump to the pond and want to see if my bill goes down .The only thing is I had to divert some of the water coming out of it from the filter as this pump is 2900 gph and the one I had going to that filter fall and the spitters was only 940 gph .When I hooked it up to the spitters the water came flying out to half way across the pond from the 3 of them and all over the bridge .Should have thought that one out better .I still have 2 pumps going but have to rethink the connections for the new pump ,it came with a double ,triple and quad diverter .I used the triple one and then the quad one but still to much flow and then used a fountain head and still a little to much .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hubby's pounding that longggggggggggggg grounding rod into the ground now...............the thing must be 8' long! Will know if all his work has paid off soon. If you don't hear back from me it's cuz we lost all our power,lol!

Ask a Question