What are you pond plans for next year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sissy, try putting in a shut off where you can regulate how much pressure goes to each of your items from your pump. That worked really well for me, as I needed to regulate the pressure for the fountain, and let the rest go to the waterfall. Good luck!
JW, I'm sure your hubby knows what he's doing. If the ground gets really dry, he needs to have it go to where it is wet all the time or he won't have a good ground. Learned that with my electric fencer for the horses. Never could figure out why it did not work around the pasture, much less the 2 miles it was rated at. Then, when I moved out, come to find out (because I read instructions when I set one up myself) that ex had put the ground rod INSIDE the barn! DUH!!! There's no moisture inside the barn where he put it, and the outside where the rain could get to it was 20' away! Now I have ground rods always outside the barn, and where I live now, it could be 2' down and always wet. High water table. But, I have it 4' down to be safe.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I'M ashamed of myself...i've been using an extension cord for years..since day 1 to be honest and likely wont be converting to "code" this year either. altho i did bury the extension cord 6" deep.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My hubby told me to stop putting my pump cords etc. under the soil to hide them. Said they could deteriorate faster. Seems as tho the sun would ruin them faster but then who am I to say?

Country I guess we don't have to worry here about not having wet ground being in western wa. but he did pound it right near the water spicket and it was 8ft long. He had to get a ladder to stand on to pound it down. It all is working just great now!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had one of those huge extension cords, almost to heavy to carry to run my pond. I wanted that size because it had be 75 feet long. Now have some nice wires, still need a good electrical box, sort of rigged right now.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Aside from continuing to read more of the threads on this forum, I plan on finishing my pond and begin working on the landscape.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Even when you are done there is more to do and always will be lol

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
jw... i used an old extension cord to start with...an old one from work...had little cuts and gouges in it... got tired of moving it for the lawn mower. buried it in 2009 and it was probably 15 years old when i started using it in 2008. still works great.

Reaction score
My plans are to tear out a pond that is 18 years old and rebuilt it a little larger and much deeper. It is currently two 700 gal. plastic horse tanks buried in the ground and two 100 gal rubbermaid bio filter tanks under the deck, I would like to make it one large pond with at least half 4 feet deep and insulated vertical sides. Have been thinking about this for several years now as it would make overwintering large koi much easier for me up here in MI. Already have one pond like this beside the driveway that holds over 4000 gal and it works great for keeping all the larger fish through the winter. If I can get this done I will be able to fill another 8 x 8 x 4 foot pond in. That pond is also used for overwinter the medium sized koi. I would like to put a smaller pond there for plants and maybe get back to raising a few fancy goldfish again. Not much sense in trying to grow many plants in the koi ponds with thier piggish appetites. For goldfish I would like to try lionheads again and take them into the greenhouse for winter. It has been 20 years since I have had lionheads and I miss thier comical apearance and swiming. Not looking forward to moving all those rocks again though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Koised, I would love to see what you have right now. Sounds like you raise lots of koi, if you have separate areas for large, medium and maybe small ones! And, a pond next to your driveway? Yep, I'd love to see pics. :)

Reaction score
Hoping to be able to post pics soon. Not easy with this slow old laptop. Other computer took a power surge and is toast. Most of the old pics were on it, but can try and load them on this or wait till new one is set up. Have several small earth bottom ponds also that are used for rearing fry till culling too. Most small fish are taken into the greenhouse pond to keep them away from marauding mink till large enough to have a chance. Not much to see right now with it being winter. My Betsy saw the last post and was concerned about the amount of heavy work I am planning, but did not say a word about cost. Looks like I might get my plans past the department of sex and finance yet! lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OMG, I've never heard of the Sex and Finance Department! Good luck to you. Sounds like you have a winning way with your wifey. :LOL: We will be patient with the pics, wintertime is not the best time to take pics. But, when you do start your changes, be sure to post before, during and after pics. It's not only fun for us, but you will look back on all the hard work you did someday and realize how much fun it was completing the project.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I completed my pond last year so this year decided to rip out the waterfall so I don't get bored... LOL

Actually decided to go the skippy rout. Purchased a 100 gallon and 70 gallon stock tank yesterday. Picked up the PVC and other stuff today!!! So I will be ripping out the back side of the falls to install the skippies within the next 4 weeks :) Can't wait!

This is my fist pond and I sure you all know that with your first pond there are always things you would have done differently. Well the design of the falls is one of those things. So redoing the falls to put the skippies behind will be great!!!

Can't wait for running water :razz: :goldfish:

Ask a Question