What are your favorite fish names?

Reaction score
We just bought two replacement fish and had to come up with some names. We lost Peaches (peach colored) and Raider (red/white/blk, Texas Tech) to a Heron. So we found another Peachy/orange colored fish and a black one with a Metalic orange head. The girl at the pond store said she had a Orange fish and called it Cheeto. We loved that one so it stuck. We need a good name for the black and orange fish now. Other fish in our pond are:

Cheeto - Orange
Popcorn - White
Butter - Yellow.....last of the food names. Maybe we were hungry when we named them?
Tiger - orange and white striped

What are some of your favorite names?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have found that if you name them they will get eaten by Mr Heron...........especially if you name them food names. Just a suspicion of mine but beware :regular_waving_emot

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you name them, wouldn't you have to have roll call every morning to see whos not in the school. :highfive:

Reaction score
if you are so interesting in food ,just name them by food names !
they just a "fish" call them anything if can make you happy !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have never named any of my fish. I think I read somewhere it was bad luck to name them. I am too sad already when a raccoon gets one or a cat bites its head off to say so and so died. Now my wife has a Siamese fighting fish in an inside tank and named it Norman and calls it affectionately Normie.

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
My fish names:
The Big One
The Lion Head
The One with the Red Spot On His Head
The one with the Red Spot on His Gill
The Comet
The Split Tail
That One with All the little Spots All Over
The Little One

and then there's "Ghost" which is the black one but you can't call him that because no one can ever see him. He is not visible most of the time until a pond stick magically disappears from the surface, or the surface breaks from his fins.

They are all males... lol!

Reaction score
I never set out to name my fish, but they acquire names with time. The descriptive phrases get annoying. My favorite name is Marcin Goldfish. This was the "big white guy" among my initial group of 7 "feeders" from Petsmart. It struck me one day that I should name him after the "big white guy" on my Orlando Magic, Marcin Gortat. ( Marcin is pronounced "March in" and is the Polish version of Martin.) So I named him Marcin, but "Marcin Goldfish" just rolls off my tongue so easily, so that's his name now. Sadly, Gortat was recently traded, but his namesake stays in my pond.

The others in his group: White Nose, Beauty, Fatso (the biggest), Red Rascal, Pumpkin, and Chosen One. The last was the one fish I asked the girl to get for me. Otherwise I just told her to pick out healthy-looking fish in a variety of colors. A few months later I saw a beautiful shubunkin in Walmart. This one spent a month in quarantine in an aquarium, and I wound up referring to it as my Pretty Baby, so that name stuck. My next shubie tried to hide every time I came into the room, even though I made a point of only coming in for feeding. That's Spookyfish, of course. He finally settled down when I got him some companions, two more feeders. Valentine was the only possible name for the white one with a perfect red heart on it's head. The other one, a very tiny sarasa comet with long fins, doesn't have a name yet. I initially tried Lipstick for it's red mouth, then Butterfly, but nothing has stuck. Most recently I picked up a pair of shubies from Walmart. They are much alike in size, color, and behavior, are fun to watch, but don't have names yet.

Incidentally, all my goldies are "he" until proven otherwise.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
That's something I haven't done. We have a friend of the family that has named all of my Shubunkin's out in my pond, but one can remember what their names are.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Haven't tried that, but thanks for idea. Because of their mix of coloring, I a few favorite Shubunkin's. Like we have noted before, their color patterns and spots change regularly.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
One of my butterfly koi's is all white with a orange head,and a black strip along his face......so we named him the [mask man]

Reaction score
All our fish get named but it takes awhile. We have a Comet that darts all over the place which is all orange with one black stripe down his back. “Racing Stripe” became his name. We also have a very metallic Koi who goes by the name “Bling Fish”. Some names are rather mocking like our big orange Koi we call “Goldfish” because he very much resembles the common gold fish (minus his barbels, fin shape, and that he is a Koi). Other names in are pond have no originality, “Mostly White Fish”, “White Nose White Tail”.

Ask a Question