j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sissy I only see 3.08 lb biggest size for $23.89 on tetra pond koi/goldfish food.

Reaction score
Hi fishin4cars :

I read your reply about what you feed your fish and thought I would send this along. I have been feeding my (about 50) goldfish and a couple shubunkins (different sizes) the Tetra Fin Goldfish Flakes. They gobble it up twice aday. I saw that you feed your fish 'Blueridge Gold Formula pellets' so I though tI would try that as well and give the fish a different flavor for a change. Anyway I ordered 4 - 5lb bags of the mini pellet growth and introduced them to that today. It sure was a flop as only about 2 or 3 of the fish came up and nibbled on a few pellets. After awhile I sprinkled some of the Tetra flakes and they all came up and started eating that. I will try again tomorrow with the pellets and see what happens. I hope they decide that they like the pellets because I have a LARGE supply of it now. Maybe it takes awhile to get them used to a change in their diet for the past few years. The water temp today here in upstate NY was around 58 deg. Gonna warm up as well next several days. I am ready to shut system down when the temp gets below 50 and stop feeding as well. Bob

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I was interested in that food also and please let us know if your goldfish decide to like it cuz if they don't then I'll just stick w/ the Tetra (Spring/Fall) and Wardleys (Summer) pellets that I use now. My fish appear healthy with what they are getting and would not want to waist my money if they aren't gonna like it. But if you were feeding yours flake food I'm thinking they just aren't used to the pellet type and when hungry will eat it and prolly like it.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I just stick with the basic gold fish and koi foods for pond fish. Of course I don't any koi, just gold fish and Shubunkin's. The two biggest are about eight inches long.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hey old marine long time hows the job and of course Mr Buttons .You and Mr Buttons still running out chasing critters .Fish love fruit especially blueberries and strawberries

Reaction score
Hi I Love My Goldies: Well I gave them another dose of the Blueridge Gold Mini Pellets this morning. They were all at the top with their mouths going and I sprinkled a cup full and I think 2 or 3 of them nibbled on a few and the rest slowly drifted back down and would not eat. So, I guess I'm gonna call the place on line where I got the pellets and try to return the 3 unopened 5 lb bags and eat the shipping cost and try to recoup some of my loses. I guess the fish never get tired of the same old stuff to eat twice a day all year long. At least I do know they love the Tetra Fin Goldfish Flakes so that will be their diet once again. Have a good day. Bob

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember as the weather gets colder fish will not eat as much and that you should change to spring and fall diet food that has wheat germ .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey Rich glad to see you.........it's been way too long! We missed ya. I finally got some Shubunkins. Bought 6 but think only 3 survived. They were pretty small and from Petsmart. The 3 that made it look good.

Bob I'm not sure you have waited long enough to give sufficient time to get your fish to eat that food. I think your fish are just so used to that flake food that they are turning up their noses to any pellet foods.

sissy that's what I'm feeding mine now and they seem to love it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are just getting the wheat germ food, smallish pellets, the pond water is bouncing 53 then back up to 60 plus. At 53-54 they showed no interest in food and stayed low in the water.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Been away a couple of days, When your swapping foods it's a good idea to swap over slowly mixed with the old food. They need time to get use to the new food. Flakes can be great quality food, but if you look at the actual grams of food supplied compared to pellet the cost adds up very quickly, the more different foods you get you fish used to eating the more eagerly they will take new foods. I've got about two or three more weeks of fattening up and then going to start swapping soon to wheat germ.
I'm really watching some growth spurts with some of the koi, a few have grown 1"-2" in the past month. Some of my 3"-4" fish this spring are now getting close to 12"-14" with some not growing quite as fast.

Reaction score
yeah i use tetra pond sticks, koi growth and colour (tho i dont have koi just goldies sarasas and shubunkins), the fish like it, i give them a small amount of boiled rice once every month or so, ive tried them with fruit but they dont touch it, might try them with pasta now ive heard that !

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use tetra also and use the treats from osi and they love them .They have blueberry ,strawberry and orange.I buy it at pet mountain. com as they have a 5 dollar off coupon and free shipping for orders over 49 dollars

Reaction score
Hil: This morning I did mix up the Goldfish flakes they seem to love and have eaten daily for past few years with about a half cup of the Blueridge pellets and they all stayed at the top eating pretty good. I still have most of the 5 lb bag of pettets left so I'll give them the mixture flakes/pellets until I stop feeding them which will be soon (water temp hovering around 55Deg).

Ask a Question