j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have only ever fed them the Wardleys and the Tetra Spring/Fall food and they are not prize koi, just goldies I got from the feeder fish tank and free off of Freecycle so am not going to spend an arm and a leg on them. They do love their food and seem healthy but I keep thinking they could even be bigger and healthier. Maybe I am over thinking all of this just for goldies.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing jw................you over thinking? The fall food had no corn in it, the food I have for summer has no corn listed, (the new food) can't remember its name either......lol

My fish eat whatever I toss in, they are not fussy.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine sure aren't fussy either. They prolly would wonder what all the fuss is about if they could wonder and are glad to get fed at all since when I first got them they got only what they could scrounge up on their own. Actually prolly got a better diet then eating nothing but worms, bugs and vegetation. Hmmmmmmmmm?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If my fish get fussy they can pack there fishy bags and move on .I got a creek by my house and thats where I dump the extra tadpoles ,they won't have far to go to unpack there fishy bags

Reaction score
Since my fish have gotten so huge over the past few years, in addition to the koi pellets, I've been throwing in those 13 cent feeder gold fish you can get at pet stores. They love them. I've also been buying the cheapest pack of hotdogs I can find at walmart, cutting them up and fish seem to love them.

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
hot dogs! Whooda thunk?! Mine get the Tetra pond sticks in in the summer, and the Hikari fall and spring. I wish I could find pond sticks for fall and spring, cuz they really don't like the pellets much. I guess if they are really hungry they'll eat what I give them.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Since my fish have gotten so huge over the past few years, in addition to the koi pellets, I've been throwing in those 13 cent feeder gold fish you can get at pet stores. They love them. I've also been buying the cheapest pack of hotdogs I can find at walmart, cutting them up and fish seem to love them.
Just a heads up, both the feeders and the hotdogs are high in protiens, low in nutritional value for the Koi, which equals unnecassary waste by product and high nitrates will be the end result. This is similar to you eating a big fat box of sugar coated donuts loaded with a big mound of creme filling, loaded down with good taste but really no nutrition and nothing but fattening. Koi do not have stomach's, Just long intestenal tracts, feeding them meat is not going to do them one bit of good, well except maybe fill them up for a short period of time, But then they'll end up looking like our local police force, a bunch of big fat donut lovers that are out of shape and over weight. seriously, Koi are primary vegitarians, they need to be fed primarily veggies and food designed for them.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I'd like to throw in my two cents' worth here: feeder fish can carry parasites and diseases that could harm or even kill your fish!!!! (I'm assuming you don't quarantine them for six weeks first.) John

Ask a Question